PistolWorld.com

The Friendliest Pistol Forum on the Internet!

Advertising

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guns for under 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:05 am 
.22 cal

I'm looking to buy my first gun. I'm on a budget, but at the same time I want to protect my home.
I'm seriously considering this one.
Pheonix Arms HP22A
Any other suggestions under 200 dollars?
I really want a full size handgun, but I can't really afford it.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Guns for under 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:53 am 
.45 cal

A much better alternative is to shop the gunshows and look for a well-used Colt, Smith & Wesson, or Ruger revolver in .38 Special caliber. Might run a little more than $200, but it would be well worth it.

If it comes down to defending yourself, saving a few bucks on a cheap gun suddenly seems kinda foolish. Also, a .22 is better than nothing, but a .38 is a whole lot better than a .22.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:21 pm 

As WWB says, you can get some used, good quality .38 revolvers for not much more than you are willing to spend.

Bud's Gun Shop dot com has used Glock .40 caliber pistols for $359.00 including shipping.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... /411537010

Bud's had some used S&W .38 revolvers for $289.00 including shipping, but I think they are currently sold out of those.

If you really care about your family and yourself, you might want to spend a little more money.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:00 pm 
.38 cal

As the others have said, look to the used market.

Isn't your little one worth more than $200? Chances are you'll never need a gun for protection. If you ever do, you'll be wishing for more than a .22, especially a Phoenix.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:50 pm 
.22 cal

I think I may have found the one for me.
Hi-Point 45 acp

What do you guys think?
It comes with a free trigger lock and I think I'll opt for a laser sight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:52 pm 
.22 cal

john1911 wrote:

Isn't your little one worth more than $200? Chances are you'll never need a gun for protection. If you ever do, you'll be wishing for more than a .22, especially a Phoenix.

Of course he's worth more than 200!
If money was no object, I'd get this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:03 am 
.38 cal

those hi points are the best, but from what i under stand do work if you get lucky.

if you do get one, make sure you test fire it with the ammo you plan on using.

as others have mentioined, you would be better off getting a used S&W. you may have to save a little more but imo they are better guns. there are used S7W revolvers out there that have little use. imo they are better for newbies since all you need to do is to pull the trigger.

its your $$$, so do as you please.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:07 pm 
.38 cal

Bang1989 wrote:
john1911 wrote:

Of course he's worth more than 200!
If money was no object, I'd get this.

That is just a little less useful than the .22.

Hi-Point makes perfectly serviceable handguns. Larger than need be and not much to look at, but (in my limited experience w/ them) will work.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:16 pm 
.22 cal

Yeah, the Desert Eagle is a little over the top, lol, but it's really nice.
The Hi-Point is nice though. Everyone says they're ugly, but I don't think so.
They look... Authoritive. Official.
Like a gun for a cop in a city with a really tight budget, lol.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:35 pm 
.45 cal

Pheonix Arms is just another reincarnation of Raven/Bryco/Jennings/American Firearms/and a whole host of other names that one could get for well under $50 wholesale a few years back. I saw a number of these turned in at a profit during "gun buy back" programs as one could buy new one for $40 ($36 for 20 or more) and get a $50 voucher each on exchange.
I would quit if ever issued another Glock, if forced to carry a High Point I might use it on my superior provided it wirked. Needless to say, I am not enamored with High Points as the ones I have seen and shot were very tempermental with any sort of hollow point and even some FMJ rounds were problematic. Feed the gun what it likes and it goes BANG but it does you no good if the best rounds for the situation will not feed properly.
As so many others have mentioned, find a quality used revolver and go with that. CDNNInvestments frequently have police turn ins and other clearance items that often go pretty reasonably. For another $50 or so, you can find something much more dependable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:09 am 
.38 cal

BANG1989;
You sound like a young person, but do NOT be young and dead or gravely injured along with those members of your family who you say you want to be able to save.
I have been in the retail firearms business for over 30 years and have seen good and bad guns come and go as these would be manufacturers decide to make a contribution.
The guns you have mentioned or considered are among that group of "stay away" firearms.
As others have mentioned get something worth while or don't get anything at all. To get a hi point is worse than nothing at all and I am not kidding. As others have pointed out, you stake your life and those of your family on this thing working under VERY bad /horrible conditions. Remember, you are NOT going to be able to think clearly or at all when the SHTF. You will do only what you have trained yourself to do and that includes operating a firearm if that is what you have chosen as your "defensive tool". If this is the case it had better be fool proof and I mean absolutely and unequivocally it needs to WORK with the least amount of BS or safeties, etc.
DO NOT WALK, RUN away from these bargain basement guns you are considering. Save your money until you can afford a quality firearm or don't get one at all.
When you get it remember you are going to have to practice with it and by that I mean 400 to 500 rounds per week for a few months just to get used to it and to know how to make it function without conscious thought. (why do you think the military issues you a piece as soon as you have your have your hair cut? You have to be able to make the gun function immediately and mechanically without thinking.
A gun will not function alone and if you have not trained yourself with the gun you plan to use, it will be very difficult if not impossible in the face of an actual attack to make it work.
So if you are not in a position to do at least this much (with a quality firearm) then wait and do not get a gun until you can.
Visit quality gun shops who are not just interested in making a sale but who will answer your questions and help you to decide on a quality firearm. In addition to the gun, you are going to have to feed it and as pointed out, ammo is expensive right now if you can find it at all. So keep in mind the expense of the ammo in choosing the caliber.
Good luck and stay safe.

UncleFudd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:39 am 
.38 cal

I agree with UF and UD. Stay away from those mentioned for defensive purposes. I say this as someone who owns a Phoenix HP-22.

I bought the thing on a whim from my brother for about $25 - no kidding. Its a tempermental little gun that's extremely picky about the ammo it likes. Even AFTER I found a brand that it eats semi reguarly it will still stove pipe a round every once in awhile or have a FTF. For just going to the range and poking some holes in paper and for the price I paid for it - I can live with it, and it isn't worth any more money trying to find a better brand of ammo. That said - I'd keep a baseball bat in the bedroom for HD before I'd stake my life on the Phoenix. Seriously.

Like UF said - you need to be able to make it work in a high stress situation. Two manual safeties that aren't that easy to work make for alot of things to go wrong.

I'd look at used 38's as others have suggested. Also - if this is strictly a HD tool and not for ccw - have you thought about a shotgun? Used Mossberg 500's, and Remington 870 expresses can be had close to your $200 mark.

I am the NRA, and I vote.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:33 pm 
.38 cal

An option if you truly want a semi auto would be a used Ruger P series in 9mm. They can be found in good condition for about $300 to $350. The are easy to operate, quality built and aren't fussy about what ammo you feed them. Depending on your state laws you can get a 15 round mag. I like the Ruger P93 the best but the older P89 is a good pistol and will be a little less expensive. I currently have a P93 in 9mm, a P94 in 40 S&W and a P95 in 9mm, I use to have a P89 in 9mm but gave it to my younger brother when he was looking for a home defense pistol.

If you can stay away from the HiPoints, for the reasons already provided. They simply are not reliable. At best it's a crap shoot, you might get one that works great but the odds are againt you.

The S&W revelver in 38spl suggested is a truly good choice for all the reasons the other member offered.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to purchase.

Will

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:24 pm 
.32 cal

I know this post is rather old, and you've probably bought something by now, but I wouldn't trust my life to a Hi-point...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:45 pm 
.45 cal

There are any number of good, usable and reliable revolvers on Auction Arms or Gunbroker. I've bought a great many (28 in the past year) off Auction Arms - all without problems and all at least as good as they appear, most far better. You can easily get a good S&W .38 for your price.