PistolWorld.com

The Friendliest Pistol Forum on the Internet!

Advertising

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Right Handed or Left Handed
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:03 pm 
.45 cal

Ordered a new holster for my favorite .45 - it's an exact copy of the WWII vintage, duty belt, flap holster, magazine pouch and USMC buckle! I'll be styling, now!!!

Hey... what's the price on the conversion. Based on what I've seen... it seems to me you could get a whole new .22 for the price of a kit +/-.

Hope you have good luck... I spend altogether too much on ammo and may end up getting a .22/.22WMR Ruger. Yep... a revolver!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:22 pm 
.38 cal

Kimber's conversion kit runs about $300, I can get a Ciener through Brownells for a bit under $250 with my discount. I'd prefer the Kimber.

Yeah, there's quite a few .22s I could buy for that kind of money, but the idea is to practice with the same pistol I use for IDPA. I do think it's true that there are probably a number of .22 autos with very similar grip angles to the 1911, but my gut feeling is that you would get better practice with the 1911--I don't know. Besides, I've got other .22s (albeit revolvers).

The belt and holster sounds great. I noticed that Dillon Mfg. also carries a retro 1911 holster and belt--a tanker model I believe. Yours with the eagle-globe-and anchor buckle ought to be tuff to beat though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:53 pm 
.45 cal

Oh... I agree. Go with a conversion. I did not catch that you were sparking rounds to practice for competition. :oops:

Post subject: re: Right Handed or Left Handed
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:49 pm 
.22 cal

I practice about 20 percent of the time with my left hand. I found that I can shoot almost as well with my left as I can right handed. And not poorly, I might add. :lol: I bought a ruger Mark III today to practice at the range with. I like to go often and yes, it is expensive buying 9mm and .45 cal ammo to practice with. :wink: .22 ammo still fairly cheap and you can put a lot of range time to good use with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:55 pm 
.22 cal

I shoot left handed, but I can also shoot right handed and like others have said, in IDPA and IPSC you have to shoot with your off hand sometimes.

One tip, I might share with you, because it has happened to me, is you will sometimes wonder if it is your grip that is throwing the shoots off or to a different point of impact when shooting one handed or with your off hand. And I was fighting that problem a little off and on, and back then I shot IDPA in the same club that Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat was shooting in, So I stated to him that I suspected I was gripping the gun different, and that was causing the problem. He told me that it wasn't the grip difference, it was my trigger control, and he was right. I practiced a little bit with special attention to trigger control, and his advice proved to be 100% correct. This I had to relearn after many years of shooting, many times it is just the basics, with trigger control, being just about the most important thing on a pistol, many times more then grip, sight alignment or anything else.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:08 pm 
.32 cal

sirgunsalot wrote:
First a little background info.: I grew up shooting shotguns and rifles during the hunting seasons. About seven years ago I started buying a few pistols to have around. About five years ago I started working part time for an armored car service hauling money around. To qualify to carry a pistol was to say the least difficult for me. I failed the shooting test the first time and had to take it a second time. Most of the time when I worked I was the guy with the shotgun. To qualify for the permit I had to shoot right handed and left handed. This was in case one hand was disabled from a gunshot I suppose. The left hand part is what failed me the first time and almost the second. My question is how many pistol shooters pra ctice shooting with their weak hand? Just a thought.
Weak hand practice is a good idea, I find i do better doing it with a one hand hold.In time you can get better at this. Itry to do this with each trip to the range. I too, have worked the armor car jobs in the past. Back before you needed the 47hr course certificate. I would also suggest to try working on keeping both of your eyes open when pistol shooting. I know this is a little tricky for a rifle shooter. Again with time,you do improve at this. I think being versatile, is a good way to be. Good luck and take care. Jack :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:45 pm 
.22 cal

I split all my practice 50/50 strong and off hand, using the C.A.R method its quite easy shooting off hand.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:54 am 
.22 cal

Here in Australia I shoot a match called Service Pistol. In this match you have to use a pistol with both a 2 hand grip and 1 hand as well. In the 1 hand sections there is a mix of both both hands used. Great fun - google it