PistolWorld.com

The Friendliest Pistol Forum on the Internet!

Advertising

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: re: Good starter pistol
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:39 pm 
.38 cal

ColoradoKid wrote:
Ditto on the MSgunaddict. I have taught handgun classes for years and have NEVER started or recommended that a new student or gun owner purchase a .22 LR model handgun, unless they want to go out and shoot "bunnies" and/or squirrels. MS is right...when the student wants to move up in caliber..he/she ends up with a "paper weight" on their hands. Plus, a shooter will get bored real quick with shooting a steady diet of .22 LR.

I'm sure glad I didn't get started with such gross misinformation. A .22 LR is a GREAT gun to learn on, and you will never retire it. It's made for practice and plinking, and anyone who can't improve their shooting skills with a .22, probably wouldn't improve with anything. I've got over thirty guns, and five of them are .22s. They are great in the woods, killing empty cans, golf balls, or any kind of recreational shooting. A brick of .22s cartridges is still quite affordable, and will provide you with a whole day of fun. "Paper weight"? Not hardly. "Bored"? Never. Sure I love shooting my .44 mags, .45 Colts, .45 ACPs, .38s, .357s, but then, I enjoy shooting every caliber I own. You'll never get tired of the .22. That's why it's the most popular caliber in the world. Any range that doesn't allow them probably has some other pretty strange rules that would keep me from wanting to shoot there as well.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: re: Good starter pistol
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:48 pm 
.22 cal

ColoradoKid,
Thanks! It took me a while to figure that out too ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:42 pm 
.32 cal

Hey "Roadkill",
You need to lighten up a bit there big guy..!!! That was just my stated opinion about learning and training with the .22...nothing was written in stone. The last time I checked I still a constitutional right to speak my OPINION..! This may have been back when you were still filling your diapers, but during WWII, the U.S. military trained there new beginning recruits on the High Standard .22, but that doesn't make it right.! I just prefer to start a new shooter out with a .9mm S/A or a .38 SPL. pistol. It saves time.....in the meantime, deal with it...

Post subject: Re: re: Good starter pistol
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:10 pm 
.38 cal

ColoradoKid wrote:
The last time I checked I still a constitutional right to speak my OPINION..!

I agree, you do. So do I. That's what keeps this interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:39 pm 
.22 cal

How many manufacturers offer .22 conversion kits for their full size guns, do you think? Let's see...CZ, Beretta, Kimber etc plus aftermarket kits. Shooting your heavy caliber handgun as a .22 is a good way to retrain your skills on that particular gun, plus it's a heckuva lot cheaper to shoot. If those guys think enough of the .22 to let their big guns shoot it, that tells me a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:22 pm 
.22 cal

Kdavey, back to your original question
There is the saying "There is nothing more expensive than a cheap (fill in the blank)"

A cheap gun will not serve you well, unless it is one heckuva buy. You can pick up some nice .22's auto-loaders in the $275-$35o range. High quality guns in 9mm or .40 cal (CZ, Springfield, Smith & Wesson) can be had in the high 400's to mid 500's. Some of these have incentives like a shooter's kit with the Springfield XD, 2 extra mags and a rebate on a Smith & Wesson M&P, etc.

It's worth saving for and doing it right the first time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:59 pm 
.22 cal

Hi Point makes decent semi-auto. They make .380 acp, 9mm, .40 S&W, & .45 acp, a little something for everyone, [except revolvers]. The prices are decent as well. I know someone who has both a 9 and a 45 from them, and they really are very nice, [theyre the older, two-tone models].

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:09 pm 
.22 cal

I've heard that the Bersa Thunder .380 is a good gun to start with. Only issue with that is ammo, but the gun is relatively inexpensive (250-300), and seems to be a "sleeper" as far as brand is concerned.

I have a friend that has one and loves it, but me personally I live in the XD. The only gun that I would say is better (IMO) then the XD is the Sig Sauer, but you're going for inexpensive so this would triple your upfront cost to purchase it now.

-TP

Post subject: Re: Good starter pistol
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:32 am 
.22 cal

kdavey wrote:
I am looking for a first pistol. I am thinking about a 9MM but i am more concerned with the price of the gun. Any one have any ideas about what a good cheap pistol would be for a beginner?

What are you going to use it for; Plinking, Target, Self-Defense or a combination of two of the three?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:53 am 
.22 cal

Take your pick - Beretta Neos U22, Ruger 22/45, or a Browning Buckmark, all 22's, all really nice pistols