PistolWorld.com

The Friendliest Pistol Forum on the Internet!

Advertising

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Six-Shooter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:05 pm 
.22 cal

What is the best six-shooter that you can get that can easy go over 300 FPE?
PS I've shot almost all so recoil is not a factor but size is, at least for defence purpose.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Best Six-Shooter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:05 pm 
.45 cal

[quote="SicSemper Fi"]What is the best six-shooter that you can get that can easy go over 300 FPE?
PS I've shot almost all so recoil is not a factor but size is, at least for defence purpose.[/quote]

Probably one of the S&W K-frames or a Ruger SP100 in 357 mag. I think the S&W is a little lighter than the Ruger but either are still relatively bulky guns. That extra round makes the cylinder quite a bit bigger compared to the traditional 5 shot snubby.

Post subject: Re: Best Six-Shooter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:40 pm 
.22 cal

uglydog wrote:
Probably one of the S&W K-frames or a Ruger SP100 in 357 mag.

Ruger SP100 in .357 is a fine weapon, and will last forever. If I every get into revolvers my most trusted would be a ruger just because the materials and care they put into their guns are incredible. Makes the gun a little heavier, but they're built like tanks and will last forever.

Post subject: re: Best Six-Shooter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:48 pm 
.45 cal

The Ruger SP 100 is indeed a fine firearm but it, and the L-and N-framed S&Ws, are kind of heavy and become a pain to carry on a regular basis. I started my career with a used S&W K-frame a few short years before the SP 100 came out. Many of the officers following me bought the Rugers as they were cheaper than the Smith. I shot them quite a bit and they are a very nice gun and I suspect were the inspiration for the L-frame. A few ounces may not seem like much but in use they do add up rather quickly. Their triggers were also a bit rougher and less could be done to them to smooth them out. That was a minor concern and not one the vast majority of officers cared about as few are much of a shooter other than what is required for work. I shoot a lot otherwise and it was a factor in my choice of guns. Either gun will last a lifetime, my S&W has lasted one and is on number two so far.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:02 pm 
.22 cal

I like the .357 but it has maybe a little to much recoil (I shot it on the range and the trigger cut my finger open). I can handle the recoil but it seems that I can't keep a good bead and I was using a hunting version. I like it though I think practice will smudge out though SNAFUs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:53 am 
.38 cal

I may have misread your posting but thought I read that recoil isn't an issue then read latter that a 357 has a little too much recoil.

Try a S&W model 1955 in 45 APC. It puts out a large round with out the recoil of the 357. You can shoot 38 special rounds in a 357 and that will reduce the recoil.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:58 am 
.22 cal

Model 327 M&P R8
8 Shot, .357 Magnum Revolver

This happens to be my favorite at this moment. I just can't get over the Darth Vader looks from a revolver.

Best of all, it's an M&P from the Performance Center of Smith & Wesson. (That means extreme quality if you did not know.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:58 am 
.38 cal

I would check the used gun racks. Try to find a lightly used Ruger, Colt or S&W. Examine them thoroughly. Avoid S&W with the internal lock. The Colt MKIII series is probably the best bang for the buck at this time.

Start with .38 special, gradually moving up to full blown .357 mag loads.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:51 pm 
.22 cal

I have an old SW Highway Patrolman Mod. 28 with 4 inch barrel that has severed me very well. I purchased the revolver back in 1970 to replace the 1911. We were allowed to carry our own weapons after a change in our service designation and a patrolman let me shoot his one day. It shot like a lazer. Even with top loads it was on target. I bought one and had a trigger job done and a target hammer added. This HP saved me several times. It is big and a bit heavy but it gets the job done.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:41 pm 
.22 cal

Get real, all this talk about different calibers and knockdown and blah, blah is some kind of armchair fantasy. Try this, you are standing in your front door and two dudes who have shown up at midnight asking for some unknown person pulls a large 38 and shoots you three times so that you are pronounced DOA. What caliber would have stopped the momentum of his actions even if you did have time to aim. only one, a sawed off shotgun. My wife and I now have 4 sawed off shot guns one in each car and two in the house. If anyone ever pulls a gun on me again we are at worse going to go to hell together. I have owned and operated over 400 guns they are all gone to other gun nuts except for a 100 year old lugar a glock 27 and a old ww 2 mauser, two of which hang on the wall. If 4 rounds of number 4 buck and one 000 buck won't do the job nothing will. I could be wrong but I doubt it.