PistolWorld.com

The Friendliest Pistol Forum on the Internet!

Advertising

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which are easiest/hardest to break down and clean?
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:45 pm 
.22 cal

I'm beginning to look at various pistols to add another one to my collection. But I know that my cousin bought a Kimber .40 cal and found breaking it down, cleaning and re-assembling it was a major pain in the butt (at least to him). Which brings me to my question: as I look at various make pistols, which ones should I be aware of as easiest/hardest to clean?

BTW, right now I find myself giving longer looks at the Beretta 92FS and the Sig Sauer line of guns, but my mind is far from settled on any one.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Which are easiest/hardest to break down and clean?
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:59 pm 
.32 cal

The best I can do is give you my opinion based on what I own. The Beretta 92FS is one of the easiest to take down and clean. Drop the taken down lever and the slide and barrel pop loose. Remove the barrel and everything you need to clean is easy to get to. Putting it back together is also easy. This gun is so easy to take down I thought I broke it when I lowered the take-down lever the first time . . . . lol

Glocks are also fairly easy once you learn the trick of cocking the gun, slightly pulling back the slide while pulling the take-down tabs. Once that is done the barrel and slide come off and the rest is simple.

The 1911 depends on two things: how tight the gun is and whether or not it has a full length guide rod. If it is of the old/original style it is relatively easy. Remove the barrel bushing, then the recoil spring, move the slide until the take-down pin is lined up, push it out and take off the slide and barrel. In my opinion, adding the full length guide rod to the 1911 was dumb and did nothing but make it hard to take a part. I won't buy a 1911 that has one. Just me I suppose.

Had a Sig several years ago, but don't remember the take-down procedure but IIRC it was fairly simple too.

All of these comments are based on an UNLOADED GUN and that is always the first step in the take-down process.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:05 am 
.22 cal

Thanks, that's good information. I have a Browning Hi-Power, a Walther PPK/S and a Walther PP--all are very easy to take down and reassemble. My Springfield 1911 has often been a major pain in the butt to reassemble, so I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to have problems with that model.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:52 pm 
.22 cal

I would have to go with the Walther P-38 and on this , this is why a person said the Beretta 92 is easy, the Beretta 92 is a Walther P-38 but different external look. The P-38/P-1 breaks down in less than 5 seconds, and goes together in less than 10. SO both would have to go as easiet.

Hardest would have to be that Ruger Mark 4 or whatever that Nambu looking 22LR pistol would be. You need a rubber mallet to take it down, and it gets worse after tha. A horrible gun to take apart.