PistolWorld.com

The Friendliest Pistol Forum on the Internet!

Advertising

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iver Johnson pistol ?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:25 pm 
.22 cal

A family friend gave me an Iver Johnson revolver. Its a cadet 55-SA model and has 38 cal. Stamped on the frame. Am I correct that it is the .38s&w round and not .38 rimfire? I know its not the .38special. Im not concerned with value. Just curious as to what I have. Thanks!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Iver Johnson pistol ?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:19 am 
.45 cal

As you state it uses both the word "Cadet" and the designation "55-SA" I will guess it is a Variation I model produced from 1963-1974. It came in 32 S&W and 38 S&W. There will be a "B" in the serial number if it is a 32 or a "G" if it is a 38 S&W. There was a Variation 2 produced from 1974-1979 that also came in 38 Special. Guns chambered for that cartridge will have a "J" in the serial number. There should also not be the word "Cadet" in the model designation but that is not a hard and fast rule in many of these cheaper guns.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:27 am 
.22 cal

I know its not the .38 special as I tried a round just to see and it wouldnt go into the chamber. Stuck out about a 1/4". I just wanted to make sure it was the .38S&w and not the .38 short rimfire, which I was pretty sure it wasnt. Im not real familiar with those rounds. I have to try to get it in working condition before I do anything with it anyway. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:20 am 
.45 cal

Put a piece of paper into the weapon and drop the hammer one time. That will show you where the firing pin is striking and that will answer your question.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:51 am 
.22 cal

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:45 pm 
.45 cal

This model of pistol was brought forth by Iver Johnson in the mid-20th century which is long after large bore rimfire cartridges fell from favor. I believe 38 rimfire ammo was last produced a couple of decades prior to this model coming out with the last guns being made closer to a half century earlier. The 55 series originally came out in 22 LR in the 1940s with centerfire rounds becoming available later on.
As I wrote earlier, there should be a "G" in the serial number if it is a 38 S&W and the chambering should also be stamped on the frame usually by by the crane if I recall correctly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:34 pm 
.22 cal

I have a 32 with a B in the serial number like you said. This is the first web site I have been to that has information on the gun. Just wandering what would be the value of the gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:27 am 
.45 cal

Sorry to not have replied earlier, I have not been able to visit as often as I used to.
An "Ivy Johnson" will typically run in the $100 range if in ver good contion with some models going as high as $150 depending on condition and features and many others going for much less. There is not much collector nor shooter demand for these guns and literally a million or more were made so prices are not very high. For those reasons they are fun guns to collect as one does not have to spend much to get a fairly large collection.