PistolWorld.com

The Friendliest Pistol Forum on the Internet!

Advertising

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Charter Arms Off Duty .38 Special
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:30 pm 
.22 cal

Hello Everyone,

My grandmother recently moved into an assisted living/nursing home since her old house had become too much for her to handle. Therefore, I received her old .38 special because she doesn't need to have a gun around for the nurses to play with, etc.

It hasn't been cleaned in forever from its looks. I believe its just been sitting in a draw for many years. Also, on the other side of the barrel it says "Charter Arms Corp. Stratford Conn." The metal insignia is on both sides of the wood grip and reads "USA Charter Arms" across a scroll.

I am just curious as to what the value of this neat little snubby might be in relation to the new version. The new Off Duty according to their website is $399 msrp.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: re: Old Charter Arms Off Duty .38 Special
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:55 pm 
.45 cal

I've had a couple of Charter Arms guns from roughly that same era, unfortunately they are not worth all that much. I was happy someone even took my Bulldogs in trade; today one might get $150 for the gun if the right buyer was found, $200 if they were really ripe for the picking. Charter Arms was not noted for high quality forearms and the guns reflected all levels of quality from high mediocrity on down. Charter Arms has gone out of business at least once that I can recall, the latest incantation is related only by name and has nothing to do with the older guns.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:47 pm 
.22 cal

Thanks for the reply. I figured it wasn't worth much, since Charter Arms isn't a "big dawg," interesting to know it's not even the same company anymore. Not planning on selling, was just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:20 pm 
.38 cal

Certainly keep it. It is a family piece, and I doubt it was shot much.
The older Charters are not worth much in re-sale value, but they can be good, reliable protection. A lot of people carried them as backups and off duty guns, many like the old ones better than the newer ones.

mark

Post subject: Re: Old Charter Arms Off Duty .38 Special
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:21 am 
.22 cal

I am responding or actually have about the same question you do about your Off Duty .38 Special. My daddy purchased my pistol for me from a pawn shop approximately twenty-five years ago and it looks just like yours. The only difference is that mine was made in Bridgeport, Conn. I really wasn't expecting it to be of great value, however, I have been trying to find out what year it was made and I haven't had much success.

If anyone can give me a website that I can go to using the serial number to pull the year it may have been manufactured that would be great. I am not interested at all in selling it, I just want to know approximately when it was made.

My daddy purchased the pistol for me the day after a man attempted to rape me and I told him that I wanted a gun big enough to blow a hole in the man if he ever got near me again. Sweet Sally, as I call her, is what my daddy brought home to me. Luckily, I have never had to use her in that manner.

Your help or anyone elses would be greatly appreciated. May God bless those who read this post.

Thanks again,
SweetSallyShooter :)