Back-up CCW pistols

Discussion in 'Pistol Opinions' started by bc14_fireems, Oct 28, 2005.

1. bc14_fireems

bc14_fireems New Member

I had an impulse buy of an Phoenix Arms HP25 25acp pocket pistol.
    for the price what an impressive gun!!! 8rd mag and decocker hammer block along with the saftey. And as far as 25acp's go fairly accurate. as soon as my digi camera is up and running again I'll post a pic

2. Fuelburns2

Fuelburns2 New Member

I had a similar impulse purchase with my spanish .32acp. check it out in the 1911 section if you're curious.

I've never heard of Phoenix arms before. What do you think of the fit and finish? I can't wait to see what it looks like.

3. bc14_fireems

bc14_fireems New Member

Here's a pic
    [​IMG]

AS far as fit and finish it is very tight and with carrying it as a pocket pistol I have yet to put a scratch on her.

4. Fuelburns2

Fuelburns2 New Member

Very nice! It looks like a .380 instead of a .25. Does it have a flip up barrel or is it more of a traditional loading style?

5. bc14_fireems

bc14_fireems New Member

It loads like a standard pistol. dissassembly is more like a tip out though.

6. ssnell

ssnell New Member

Looks like a fun little gun, congratulations!!

Scott

7. Pistolero

Pistolero New Member

I keep a Kel-Tec .32 in my pocket at all times.

8. artz

artz New Member

NAA .22 mag. pocket pistol

9. El Padrino

El Padrino New Member

Kel-Tec P3AT .380 for my briefcase.

10. Paul F.

Paul F. New Member

Artz... I hear ya!!! :wink:

11. Fuelburns2

Fuelburns2 New Member

Is a .22 really effective as a self defense pistol? Even a .22 mag seems a bit underpowered to be a deterent in a high adrenaline situation. How does a .22 mag compare to a .25 as far as punch? I know were talking about a backup pistol but it still should get the job done.

If I'm wrong then please educate me. I'm always willing to learn.

12. ssnell

ssnell New Member

By golly, I've got one of those in my pocket too, after I got my permit, I must have gone through five different pistols and twenty holsters trying to find something I didn't want to leave on the dresser, instead of taking it with. the Kel-Tec p32 is light enough, and small enough to be just right for me!! :wink:
    Scott

13. clayshooter25/25

clayshooter25/25 New Member

14. Fuelburns2

Fuelburns2 New Member

If I read that chart right then the .22mag has almost twice the muzzle velocity of a .25acp and the .25 has better penetration than the .22mag. Seems like a tradeoff, but I would think more mass and better penetration would be preferable to less mass, less penetration, and more velocity. That said, am I the only one who has considered putting one of these on my keychain as a backup pistol?
    http://www.naaminis.com/short.html
    They will put a keyring on it at the factory for you. Kinda cute too. I don't know about it going off in my pocket though. :?

15. Paul F.

Paul F. New Member

My wife is the Manager of the O.R. in a hospital designated as a Level I Trauma Unit. I can tell you that at the ranges one would be using the .22 WMR... they are very effective. :wink:

16. bc14_fireems

bc14_fireems New Member

I Work in an inner city ER, and let me tell ya
    the 22lr and 25's are the most common calibers seen. (cheap and available) they may not kill but the stop the aggression.

17. El Padrino

El Padrino New Member

I'm sure all of your experiences seeing the damage a .22 can cause is well founded but i would not feel comfortable using it as a self defense weapon. There are many pistols out there that match the diminutive size of a CCW .22 with larger rounds. Check out Seecamp or KelTec.

18. Fuelburns2

Fuelburns2 New Member

What really matters is not bullet size but shot placement. A well placed .22short will do the job but in a self defense situation it is difficult to place every shot perfectly. That's where the larger calibers come in. I know I'm not that good under pressure.

19. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I guess I'll stick with my back up Mark 23 - backing up whatever long arm I may be using :lol:

I have considered, lately, buying a HK USP compact .45.

20. El Padrino

El Padrino New Member

Of course shot placement matters. But the fact is during almost any self defense scenario due to adrenaline and other external forces shot place is generally not going to be what you want. That’s where bullet size and velocity come in. Under your theory we could all use pellet guns for self defense, because they can kill. The bottom line, IMO, is .the 22lr is made for plinking and small game hunting not self defense. Almost any self defense writer or instructor will tell you the same.