FRONT SIGHT REMOVAL

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing & Restoration' started by idaholonggunner, Jul 17, 2009.

1. idaholonggunner

idaholonggunner New Member

What is the best way to remove a front sight on a Springfield 1911A1?

2. wwb

wwb New Member

The best way is to take it to a good gunsmith...... it's not an easy job to do, and if he buggers up the slide, he owes you a new one. If you try it and mess up the slide, it'll cost you more than the smith would have.

You can do it by mail, so you don't need a local smith. Mailing the slide when it's off the frame is not a problem.

3. killerb

killerb New Member

I've been wondering that same thing. I have this new set of XS 24/7 Big Dot sights and a new Kimber 1911 pistol. As a true do it yourselfer, I have a very hard time taking anything to anyone else to work on. But I do not have the proper tools, nor do I want to invest in them. Nor do I want to bugger up my new pistol, they don't exactly give these Kimbers away you know. So I will be taking the pistol to a competent gunsmith whom I know does quality work. You can buy a tool to press the sights out of the dovetail from Brownell's or Midway. Just don't clamp your slide in a vise and whack at the front sight with a hammer and punch, nothing good will come of that.

4. wwb

wwb New Member

A dovetailed front sight is a whole 'nuther matter, and is much easier to deal with. The front sight on a standard 1911 is staked in place, requiring specialized tools for removal and/or replacement.... also requires training and experience to do it right.