Left hand pistol

Discussion in 'Pistol Opinions' started by Simon, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Simon

Simon New Member

Hi!

I want to buy a new pistol, something like a Glock, Sig Sauer or Springfield XD. But I cant find a left hand Pistol, any sugestion? Thanks!

2. rmarcustrucker

rmarcustrucker New Member

I'm a lefty, though I've learned to shoot right handed and when i shoot left I have adjusted myself to mag release and such.

Go to a big gun store and look at what they have. I primarily carry glock 27 and .357 revolver so no safety issues. But your best deal is many make ambidextrous controls.

pure left handed gun? first one comes to mind is charter arms. I've never researched the rest, but I'll be watching this thread.

3. wwb

wwb New Member

1911.... you can get aftermarket left-hand (or ambidextrous) safeties and left-handed magazine releases.

Sorry about the slide release..... although i suppose you could add a notch to the right side of the slide and make it ambidextrous as well.

4. Bunnyman

Bunnyman New Member

+1 on 1911s...anything with that much aftermarket makes it easier to find exactly what you're looking for, and lots of semi-customs have ambi safeties.

If you have a SIG, you'll have to learn to operate the decocker with your trigger finger. The mag release can be swapped from right side to left side on most models; if you prefer it to be thumb-operated, or you can use your trigger finger as well (some people with short fingers prefer that method - the P220 and 226 were not designed for small hands!)

XDs have mag release buttons on both sides. The newer SF (Short? Frame) Glocks have a release that can be pressed from either side.

As for slide release, all modern autos can be released from slidelock by pulling back slightly on the slide; if there is a loaded magazine in the well, the slide will release, chambering a round. Some folks advocate this method even if you can reach the release. I seem to recall some handgun out there had an ambi release, but I can't remember...it's definitely an oddity.

You're right, though...not a lot out there explicitly for southpaws. Fortunately, there's workarounds.

Good hunting.

5. 9MAK

9MAK New Member

CZ85 has ambi slide stop and safety and can reverse mag release...

6. AZ Old Guy

AZ Old Guy New Member

I'm left-handed and have been shooting for over 30 years - since before manufacturers made ambi controls. The left index finger (ie: left-hander's trigger finger) can work a 1911-style mag release faster than a right-hander's thumb. Same with a SIG decocker. And slingshotting the slide is faster than operating many slide releases (the 1911 being a notable exception, but again, the left index finger can release the slide on a 1911 just as fast as a right-hander's thumb). A fair number of newer semi-auto designs include ambidextrous controls (mag release, safety and slide release) - IMO, they tend to slow me down.

Bottom line: being left-handed is not an obstacle to shooting a handgun. In fact, left-handedness is a distinct advantage with a DA revolver. It's just a question of practice and muscle memory. Now, rifles and shotguns are a different matter, but this is a pistol forum.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm a lefty also. I've never had issues cause, well thats how I grew up, as a kid when playing Little league Baseball. All that I had was my older brothers hand me downs (glove). So I had to learn playing as a righty. Guess thats why I'm sorta ambidextrous.

With guns however I'm a lefty. I shoot rifles left as well but, I have never bought a left handed rifle. Its that I don't want anything left-handed to be passed down nor do I need change or oddity.

Given that, its all a state of mind and no big deal. I got used to Hulls, brass etc crossing my face a long time ago.

A lefty living in a right-hand world. My .02

8. jack62

jack62 New Member

good luck with that guys. I read somewhere that only 10% of the population are left handed. Thats pretty special if you think about it.
    No wonder a good southpaw, can name his price. You would think that gun makers would tool up for leftys. They are always coming up with new models.
    Especially with a 1911 platform, even if they run limmited runs. I would think they will sell, or do it on an order basis. Sounds like a market there.

Go easy guys, Jack

9. WDBradley

WDBradley New Member

Several manufactures offer ambidextrous safety, decocker or mag release. in some cases you have to move componetes to the oposite side to fit a left hand. I don't know of any auto manufacture that makes a pistol with a left side shell eject. If there are any I would like to know until then I have to say I've gotten use to the shell cases in my feild of view. On a side note Savage makes a good bolt action left hand rifle.

10. Mark F

Mark F New Member

Lefty here, I've never had a problem with pistols or rifles. You just get used to those right-handed things...

11. BigDave

BigDave New Member

I just bought a couple of .22 semiauto, a Bersa Firestorm and the Walther P22. If you're willing to shoot light, the Walther P22 is totally ambidextrous.. magazine release both sides, safety both sides.. only the slide lock is stuck on the left side of the gun, but I have found it's easily operable with my index finger.. and it's overall a very fast business to shoot and reload this little gun for a lefty like me..

The Bersa, not so much. :) My wife gets that one for her purse. But the Walther P22 is a superb lefthanded pistol.

12. chstout

chstout New Member

I know this is a old thread, but since I came across it looking for left handed handguns myself, I thought It'd give my two cents as a lefty.

Similar to the above poster's p22, I own a .40 P99 and have similar results, except I can't operate the slide lock, I just have to switch hands. Other than that, I like the gun.

I also own a .45 1911 Randall, and if you really want a true lefty gun and can come across one, it is awesome. They were made back in the 80s, didn't make too many, but they were machined to be 100% lefty.

I would love to find a true lefty .22, but if I can't, I might take BigDave's advice and look at the P22.

13. AngryHumanoid

AngryHumanoid New Member

I also came across this while researching concealed carry left-oriented handguns. I do already own a full size weapon, a Springfield XDm 9mm. while it is true that a lefty can (and should) get familiar enough with shooting a right-handed weapon I still strongly prefer to minimize differences which could slow you down in an extreme situation. With that in mind I went with an ambidextrous gun for my home defense weapon and intend to do the same for my concealed carry weapon.

The things I like about the XDm are the dual-side mag release and the rear grip safety, the slide lock is still on the left side only but I never use it, I always just pull the slide back, and for me it's so routine I don't think I'm sacrificing much if any time reloading and getting back into a shooting position.

The most important thing is definitely practicing with firearms in general, but I do agree that there are weapons out there that can more directly apply themselves to a lefty. Good luck!

14. belljordan

belljordan New Member

There are many gun manufacturers all over the world. AR 15 gun manufacturers are specializing in manufacturing durable and light weight, and top quality weapons.

gun manufacturers

15. Glock Doctor

Glock Doctor New Member

Because we, all, live in an essentially right-handed world I'd encourage you to teach yourself to be comfortable with a pistol while you hold it in either hand. With a 3rd. generation Glock I simply substitute my left-hand trigger finger for my right-hand thumb. Works fine for me, and should, also, work well for others. All it takes for a lefty to get used to a primarily right-handed semi-auto is a little practice.

16. DustyTheKid

DustyTheKid New Member

Okay, I had to join the forum just to post this. Hope to contribute more if possible.

I am a righty, but I've spent a lot of time looking for this on my tech-challenged uncle's behalf. I've found that Taurus 24/7 G2 models are 100% ambidextrous. Mag release, slide release and safety lever all on both sides. He bought his .45 and I liked it so much I bought one too, in my preferred caliber, .40. We both carry these concealed comfortably (fullsize, not compact) and would recommend them to anyone.

If you prefer a weapon with an exposed hammer version of the 24/7, the 8xx series is also ambidextrous. I had a tough time deciding between the two, but opted for no hammer for less snagging.

Now the search continues for a decent 100% ambi/lefty .22LR...

17. putergod

putergod New Member

I too just joined to post on this topic...
    I'm a left hander and would love a gun specifically designed for left handers (including the ejection), but as most others, have learned to just deal with a right handed gun. I can say this though, many guns have safety or decocker, and/or magazine release on both sides. My Ruger P95 does as well. The only thing it doesn't have is the slide release (and of course left ejection). However, I never really considered it an issue, even though it would nice if it did, because I don't intend on ever having to release the slide with the slide release in an emergency. For one, I keep it chambered when it's beside my bed (actually keep it and the 45 on the other side of the bed chambered), so I don't need to even work the slide... but if I did need to, it would be faster just to grab it and jerk it back and release... If I'm just shooting, and need to reload, I just have the gun in my right hand when I work the slide release, then move it to my left hand. Not as quick, but the paper isn't attacking me.

18. JermDaa

JermDaa New Member

Right hand or wrong hand? Left hand use isn’t a drawback! The single-action revolver is probably the best-designed handgun in the world for left hand use.If you are a single-action shooter and right handed, you are at a disadvantage! Folks used to joke that Sam Colt was left handed, yet he was long dead by the time the Single Action Army was invented.

19. Jistuason

Jistuason New Member

There was a time when pistol manufacturers actually made pistols for southpaws. Any more most pistols, like Glocks, are pretty much ambidextrous and work for any kind of shooter. One pistol that sort of really fits the left profile is the old P-38 Mausers. These WW2 designed pistols eject to the left and the controls can be handled from either side. And they still make these handguns even today because they're so popular.

20. najatuw4646

najatuw4646 New Member