Target Distances

Discussion in 'Target Shooting' started by Maverick8812, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Maverick8812

Maverick8812 New Member

At what ranges do most folks shoot at for target practice?

For me, I shoot at a piece of white piece of printer paper from five or seven yards away. Working my way up to situation targets, but the printer paper does a good job of representing a human torso.

2. ElMonoDelMar

ElMonoDelMar New Member

It depends what range I'm at. The one I shoot at most often is pretty old and all of the shooters have to shoot at the same distance (because of some lead problem in the berms) so I usually shoot at 15 yds there.

3. uglydog

uglydog New Member

I'll shoot anyplace from nearly contact distance to 100 yards and more depending on the gun and usage. With my defensive pistols I'll shoot targets from "Speed Rock" distance out to 100 feet the most as that is the range I most expect to have to use my pistol. I do some additional work out to 50 yards and some occasional stuff out to 100 yards. I don't spend a lot of time and ammo at these latter ranges but do it enough to have an idea what the gun and I am capable of and what the hold should look like. For my hunting guns I start at 25 yards and work out to 50 yards for the open sighted guns and go out to 200 yards with the bolt action "pistol" chambered for a rifle cartridge.

4. BigDog

BigDog New Member

For defensive drills, timed fire exercizes, reload practice, etc - I shoot mostly at an indoor range and I set my targets on the retrievers anywhere from 21 to 40 feet. Using a bulls eye target is fine - although I prefer a silhouette target or something like an IPSC target.

5. Fuelburns2

Fuelburns2 New Member

7-15 yards depending on the gun. Anything over that is just to see if I can.

6. darkgael

darkgael New Member

When I'm practicing for indoor Bullseye gallery matches (offhand), I'll shoot at 50 ft. at the standard bull (about 3 inches). Outdoors, I'll move to 50yds. at least for the precision stage (bigger bull).
    For prone .22 competition, I'll practice at 100 yds.
    Hunting - I'll practice with my Blackhawk, two-handed, at 50 yds.
    Pete

7. mike .308

mike .308 New Member

For a pistol probably 10-15 yds.

8. 16'er

16'er New Member

usually 10yards, but if I'm having a good day I'll run it to 15 or 25yds. I shoot my 22's best so seeing any punched holes over 15yds is kinda difficult...

9. castlebravo

castlebravo New Member

compatition is 25 yards and thats where i shoot

10. CHOOTER

CHOOTER New Member

10 yards

11. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs New Member

10-25 yds for 22s and on out to 100 yds for guns that I'll hunt deer with. For the close shooting I like to shoot at a 1'' stick on dot(phlorsecent(sp) colors work best for me) Out further, I shoot at 3-6'' stick on targets.

HWD

12. GunChef

GunChef New Member

I practice at a indoor range. I shoot several differant caliber handguns, both revolvers and autos. For target practice it would be from 10 to 20 yards. I also carry concealed and practice defensively, and since I wouldnt be shooting a bad guy from no more then 10-15 feet. I practice at that distance. Now for my Winchester 1300 Defender (Tactical) home defense weapon. I shoot a 2 3/4 mixed load that holds 1-65cal. round and 6-#1 buckshot's. This just out right destroys a full size cardboard silhouette at 15-20 feet. So those would be my target distances :D

13. gutdeere?

gutdeere? New Member

I generally shoot around 20 or 25 yards with all handguns. I don't shoot shorter distances unless I want to see how tight my groups are at that range. Normal distance is between 20 and 30 yards. If I get any closer like 10-15 yards it's just too easy for me. I constantly push the limits... it's the only way to get better. Even at the distances I shoot my groups are tight (between 3-5"). At 10-15 yards, my groups tighten right up to consistent 1 and 2 inch groups.

14. loloy

loloy New Member

target distance downrange should not be a limiting factor. to be able to hit a smaller target over a longer distance implies improved accuracy. so that to hit a 2.5" diameter target at 5 yards is as accurate as hitting a 10" target at 12 yards. if your range won't permit a luxury of space then use a smaller target.

best alternative handgun...WATCH!!!

http:/ / youtube.com/ watch?v=4sfTsb052Yo

i'm using my canon powershot G7 showing how to field strip my new S&W m&p 9mm. features as follow: double action semiautomatic pistol, ambidextrous mag release and slide stops, front rails, fish scale serrated slide, 3 size very cool changeable backstraps and 2 steel 17 round mags.

break in progress notes:

Hornady 147 jhp 172 rds
    Reloads 694 rds
    total rounds 866 rds
    misfires: 0%

all things are permissible but not all things are beneficial... ... more » « less

15. Rev.

Rev. New Member

I shoot from 15 to 25 yards. If you can hit at those distances the closer shots will take care of themselves. In my opinion. :wink:

16. Shooting Bloke

Shooting Bloke New Member

Air Pistol 10 metres
    .22 pistol 25 and 50 metres
    .357/38 50 metres down to 7 metres
    .44 black powder 25 metres ( and I will shoot it at 50 metres soon