What is your primary carry gun?

Discussion in 'CCW - Concealed Carry Discussions' started by XDGirl, Aug 8, 2008.

1. XDGirl

XDGirl New Member

What is your primary carry gun and do you carry extra mags with you and if you do how many mags do you carry? Of course you dont carry extra mags if your primary carry gun is a revolver :wink:

2. darkgael

darkgael New Member

I have two pistols that I carry a lot. I do not carry extra ammo for either. One is a .38 snubbie, 5 rounds; the other is a Glock 36, six rounds. Even when I carry a 1911, I do not carry extra ammo.
    Pete

3. Rev.

Rev. New Member

My duty weapon is a Glock 22C

4. UncleFudd

UncleFudd New Member

For over 30 years I carried a 45ACP lightweight commander. About 10 years ago I became recoil sensitive and had to change my firearms but could not find a lightweight 9MM so I built my own using Essex frame and slide and Kart barrel and everything from Wilson Combat.
    It is exactly like my old commander to every piece including the sights and trigger pull weight.
    I have used Trijicon front dot sight and ghost ring rear for my carry guns since 1988 and they are without a doubt the quickest and most accurate sights, day or night that I have ever shot.
    They are not bullseye competition but for man sized targets out to 30 feet, it does not miss even under very difficult circumstances.
    I made these and have since helped make some for friends with Glocks and Sigs and everyone who has them including two officer friends they as I do swear by them.
    A couple of pics of the 9MM lightweight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. uglydog

uglydog New Member

Currently, my duty gun is a 4" Service model XD-45 in 45 ACP. For off duty I use my old duty gun, the Service model XD in 40 S&W as it is slightly shorter in the grip which is the difficult part to conceal. Over the years I have carried about everything it seems for duty and pretty much the same guns for concealed use. I find it easy enough to conceal a medium frame revolver or semi-auto and that I can shoot them a lot better than most compacts and especially sub-compacts. The longer barrels also seem to give better and more consistent bullet performance which is also a plus to me.

I always carry at least one extra magazine or speed clip with me, the reload will go either in a belt holder (there are concealable versions if wants or one can use a multi-tool holster, cell phone holster, or other such item) or sometimes the front off side pants pocket. I have had one use of a firearm outside of work, I had a 13 shot Beretta 380 and after all was said and done, the last threat decided to give up with two rounds in his gun and mine was empty. Once out of the hospital, I decided to always carry one reload if not a second gun too. Plus, most attacks today are with two or more perpetrators and with the average still being at least 2-3 rounds expended for each hit, and at least two hits for reliable stopping percentages, that is not good odds if there is more than one opponent who wishes to push an assault.

6. xd.40

xd.40 New Member

I carry the XD.40 using an IWB (inside waist band) holster, made by blade-tech.

I don't carry any extra mags off duty, but on duty yes!

7. killerb

killerb New Member

S&W 640 in a Safariland model 25 pocket holster. I carry a reload in a Bianchi Speed Strip. I am not very fast reloading from the strip, but it is flat and concealable, unlike the traditional revolver speed loaders. A quicker alternative to the reload for me is to just grab the Ket-Tec P3AT that resides in my back pocket.

8. stmichps

stmichps New Member

I carry a Kahr TP9 in the beltline (no holster unless dressing up) with one backup mag. The stainless/polymer construction makes it low maintance even next to my body and lowers the carry profile more minus the holster.

I feed it Federal 147gr +P Hydroshoks.

Update:

Since this posting I have change my EDC to the Chiappa Rhino 200DS. While I still like the TP-9 for it's slim, light carry and it's low maintance, the Rhino just offer a more potent package.

9. Captn66

Captn66 New Member

I carry a Glock 39. No extra mags normally.

10. 1gsplover

1gsplover New Member

Sig P239 with one extra mag. .40 cal. IWB over an old wash cloth, as I can't find a suitable holster. (The washcloth traps sweat before it gets to the pistol.
    ///olde :) pharte///

11. docmccoy

docmccoy New Member

A 2.5" barreled S & W Model 66 with one charged speed-loader or a Kahr P9 with one extra mag, depending on circumstances.

12. tonygrz

tonygrz New Member

I carry a Kel-Tec 32 auto in my front pocket. So light weight that I forget it's there. Yep, only a 32 auto, but I carry it and I don't leave it at home.

13. AZ Old Guy

AZ Old Guy New Member

Depending on weather and clothes, I wear a Kahr PM9 worked over by Cylinder & Slide gunsmiths; a Kel-Tec P3-AT (when wearing shorts and little else - AZ summers are a bitch); a SIG P239 in a behind-the-kidney rig; and a SIG P229R SCT if there's enough room under the jacket. All ammo is Double Tap.

14. 9MAK

9MAK New Member

East German Makarov in 9x18 Makarov. Gun is 8+1 and while I have ammo in car, don't usually carry any extra on my person. A pistol is not an ofensive weapon and should only be considered for defense to get away...

15. Chickenwang

Chickenwang New Member

Hello all. This is my first post here and I look forward to talking with you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my carry gun. Its a Ruger Kgp-331. It features a 3' barrel, a fixed rear sight and it holds six 357 mag. rounds. Ruger's GP line is outstanding. They are solid, accurate guns that are verry affordable. Befor I started CCing I had a six inch GP100 also in stainles. I can honestly say this gun is just as acurate a the 6'. Now of course the distance between the sights makes the 6 a steadier hold, but if you put that 3' on its mark, you got it. I rarely carry my speed loaders unless im leaving town. But they certainly can give balance to your wardrobe when CCing. I certainly couldnt fault one for carrying them all the time. The holster is a Bianchi Accumold and it works great considering the wide(r) frame of this revolver.

16. darkgael

darkgael New Member

Re: re: What is your primary carry gun?

Have changed my primary from the .38 snubbie to a Makarov. The Mak is the same size as a J-frame, even thinner, more ammo in the gun, same or more energy as what I had been loading (Speer SB GDHP .38s), super reliable.
    I do want to chrono some of the .38 Spl. 158 grain loads from my snubbie to see how the energy is and also test myself for accuracy with that heavier round.
    Pete

17. dogngun

dogngun New Member

Depends on where I plan to go, but usually I carry an FEG .32 ACP pistol and 1 extra mag. My load for this is S&B ball (FMJ) ammo - high penetration and 177 ft/lbs energy. The FEG gives me a longer barrel for more energy and better sight plane. This or my old Model 36 Chief Special S&W is what I carry every time I leave home in warm weather, unless it's something larger.
    Something larger could be a Charles Daly 1911 Compact .45 acp aith 2 extra mags 0r a Daly full sixe 1911 again with 2 extra mags, or occasionally a Single Action Army revolver in .45 Colt.
    These larger guns are mainly my cold weather carry pieces.

I have carried larger revolvers, like a 4" S&W Model 29 .44 magnum, but I had heart surgery a few years ago, and the .45 Colt is the largest round I feel comfortable shooting.

mark

18. G. I. Joe

G. I. Joe New Member

beretta 8045d, no extra mags

19. joedapro

joedapro New Member

ruger birds head vaquero in 45 colt with 1 cyl reload capability.

20. mk70ss

mk70ss New Member

My duty gun is a Sig 229 .40. Off duty, usually a .38 Model 60. In very warm weather (ie shorts/tank top) I carry my Beretta .25 Jetfire.