Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I have found is it is in appearance the same as the early 1900's military Marine/Navy style.

Here’s what pictures I have. Ill spell out the numbers and serials as best I can:

Other than Patent info on the top of the Barrel and the Colt. D. A. 38, I have the numbers 585 stamped inside the spindle and on the spindle release. The butt plate has a 92 on top of a 731. I removed the grips and there are no more stampings. The grips being plastic stamped with colt Ill assume are a replacement set since there also carved 585.

This guy’s link is all I have found so far that even resemble this pistol. But with it being a pop style I don’t know which numbers to be using for research.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin ... emID=18329

If anyone has any info I would really appreciate it!

Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: re: 1900's Colt DA .38

Pistolero said:
looks like Colt factory grips to me.
Really? Am I on the right track to tracking this pistol down?

Only history I have is when my great uncle passed, my great aunt handed this off to my old man. when he passed I got it, Ive since stripped and cleaned, and then range safety fired it. Works like a charm but know nothing else about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: re: 1900's Colt DA .38

i have same gun exept 545 under cylender and on butt 87 on top 721 on bottom and on cylender release 1102 what ammo did you use

·
Registered
147 Posts
The grips are factory Colt grips - be very careful not to damage them by prying them off - they are pretty brittle and easily cracked.
I would not shoot this gun with anything other than standard velocity ammo, and I'd look online for some expert advice on the ID of this one. Colt will send you a letter telling you all the info they have on these old revolvers if you send them info omn it - barrel length, all markings, SN, etc. It's pretty expensive for this service, but will probably be worth it for a gun like this.

I don't have contact info for Colt, but Google Colt and you will find more than you can stand.
Nice gun, and may be a valuable collectable - treat it carefully, don't take it apart!

mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts