Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon my ignorance, but I've never really paid to much attention to pistols due to my long love for shotgunning and deer hunting. However, I do own a Sig P230 .380.

Recently, I have grown fond of pistols and specifically the 1911. My question is...Do they make a 1911 with a decocking lever. I know they have a thumb safety, but from what I have found, that doesn't decock the hammer. Is this correct? I really don't like the fact of having to decock the hammer by pulling the trigger and slowly releasing the hammer by thumb. Any knowledge about this subject would be appreciated. Also, what would be a great 1911 on a budget?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am somewhat confused as to why you would want to let the hammer down on a 1911 style pistol.

1911 style pistols are single action by design, they carry cocked and locked with a round in the chamber, hammer back and thumb saftey on. On a series 80 gun there is a firing pin saftey activated by the trigger in conjunction to the grip saftey.

A true 1911 pistol dose not have a half cock carry mode, you will find a notch on the sear with some pistols while lowering the hammer, this is NOT intended as a carry mode and will result in accidental discharge should the weapon get drop checked, usually while placing back in the holster.

A 1911 carries "COCKED AND LOCKED", it tells the world I'm ready to rock and roll, it offends people and is not considered politically correct.

As for what is best to start out with depends on what your needs are. A good entry level 1911 can be had new or used stock or tricked out full size or compact model. Colt, Kimber, Springfield Armory are the affordable common names that offer good quality. There are many other brands on the market, just remember you get the quality you pay for, and for me it requires 500 rounds with no failure to feed before we bond with each other as a carry gun.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I dont know of any 1911's with a decocking mechanism.

The 1911 was designed to be carried in condition 1, there is no reason to carry a 1911 in condition 2.

In this new world of plastic guns and decockers, they have made the 1911 out to be dangerous. Its a bunch of hype to scare you into buying a plastic gun. Hell, I think glocks put more accidental holes in legs, feet, and hands than 1911's ever did or will. Dont believe all the crap out there about the 1911 being an unsafe pistol. It is one of the safest ever designed.

Do some research. Check out some forums. Make up your own mind, dont let the world make it for you without some education.
http://forums.1911forum.com/

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Re: re: 1911 w/ decocker??

Asylum Keeper said:
I dont know of any 1911's with a decocking mechanism.

The 1911 was designed to be carried in condition 1, there is no reason to carry a 1911 in condition 2.

In this new world of plastic guns and decockers, they have made the 1911 out to be dangerous. Its a bunch of hype to scare you into buying a plastic gun. Hell, I think glocks put more accidental holes in legs, feet, and hands than 1911's ever did or will. Dont believe all the crap out there about the 1911 being an unsafe pistol. It is one of the safest ever designed.
While I agree that a 1911 is designed to be carried cocked and locked, and in my opinion is completely safe the Glock is just as safe. The safety lock on the 1911 is one of the most reliable out there and with the firing pin block on the later models they are almost fool proof. However the Glock’s design with the firing pin down is every bit as safe.
Ultimately it comes down to the user being familiar with the weapon and focused on what he or she is doing. Any weapon is unsafe in the hands of the foolish.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My RIA 1911 does decock in two ways one is hard to describe and I won't try the other is standard single action.
As for the "no half-cock or safety notch" that is just plain wrong, it is one of the oldest safeties and works fine.
For example older 1894 Winchesters "only" had that safety with few complaints.
It is true a real or true 1911 would not have one but who even carries a 7 rd .45 5 incher with plastic or wood grips anymore?
Personally I would get a Sig in .45 with the decock DA/SA than you get all the fun options without having to choose.
I am not trying to argue so don't get offended just a gunsmith/shooter putting in his two cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.