Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a shotgun guy but have a very strong hankering for an authentic as near as possible to a GI issue 45 auto pistol. i know there are a bunch of knock offs of this model.

How much would an authentic GI 45 roughly sell for in decent shape?

which brands come closest to original?

which brands do you recomend and their approximate prices?

thanks,

Bull

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you really want an authentic GI 1911, be prepared to lay out close to a grand for a Colt in mediocre condition.

Otherwise, for about $550, the Springfield Armory GI is pretty close, except for the finish and the grip panels.

If you get into the rare variants of honest-to-pete GI pistols, such as Remington-Rand, the sky is the limit. Same goes for the pre-WWI Colts that still have the blued/polished finish.... almost all of them were refinished to a parkerized finish at one of the armories.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Colt, was the Original maker of the GI 1911. Colt could not keep up with the demands of the government, so they gave the rights away to several other firearm makers such as Remington Rand, & Springfield Armory, which Springfield produced approximately 1/3 of the 1911's for the 1st world war.
Either one is highly prized now, and will bring a pretty penny, (or a bunch of Ugly ones). Remington Rand also made some 1911's as well, and yes, these are also worth a lot of money.

Springfield Armory makes a very nice GI model now, the 1911-A1. They are made in Brazil, but still Very nice Pistols, and can be had from $550 to $650 new, or $425 to $500 used.

You can not go wrong with the newer Springfield unless you want to fork out the $$$$ and get an Original 1911.

Below is a link to a pretty cool website. Enjoy.
http://www.coolgunsite.com/

As always, Stay Safe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you are not into "collecting" old 1911's there are lots & lots to choose from.

My current favorite is my Kimber with a Crimson Trace Grips in .45 cal.

If your not looking for the old ones there are several good brands to choose from, just google for a 1911 .45 and you'll have a ton of brands to choose from

I'd caution that you might want to go to a range and rent several 1911's to shoot before buying.

All guns have some small differences in "feel" and you should buy the one that feels correct for you and that you shoot well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rock Island Armory makes a very reasonably priced
1911-A1 45 ACP in Parkerized finish that is very close
to Mil-Spec. These can be had for around $469.00 and
are very good shooters! :)
Regards Sig Shooter

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with Sig Shooter; the RIA is very close to original GI .45's. Made in the Phillipines. Very affordable priced. :D
Sagetown

·
Registered
585 Posts
Rock Island and Armscor are the same factory... here's a picture of my latest: It is the Commander-sized version and my 3rd RIA/Armscor gun.

The full sized version is this:

Here are the grips I'm putting on mine... from Altamont... $45

Eventually, mine will have Novak low-profile sights, as well. I've never had a complaint with any of them and never paid more than $425.00

·
Registered
8 Posts
I asked this same question on another 1911 forum and did quite a bit of checking. The answer I came up with was there is nothing close enough to an origional 1911 or A1 made today to be considered by me at least, more than a half-assed copy with wrong markings. Some of these guns are good guns on their own right, but not very similar to the origionals. Alot of people ask this question. I'm surprised Colt doesn't make anything closer to the origional than their 1918, which looks right but the markings are wrong.

I gave up and got a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander. I figured if it wasn't going be authentic, it might as well be a tricked out shooter.

I am saving my pennies for an authentic 1911 but at 2-3k I have to save a lot of pennies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts