Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own several handguns and carry on a somewhat regular basis. Recently at the range a person let me shoot his 1911 in exchange for shooting my S&W M&P .45, it was a kimber. I like my S&W a lot but liked the slimmer design of his pistol. So now I'm looking at 1911's and there are so many. I plan to shoot it often at the range and also carry it. Looking for a smooth action, good sights and a tight trigger. My budget is pretty good ($300-$500). Any advice on the good and the bad manufactures/models would be truly appreciated.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The $500 top end of your budget will just get you an entry-level GI model from Springfield. Colts and Kimbers start at about $800 and go up from there. Les Baer, Wilson Combat, etc. are FAR beyond your budget.

1911s ain't cheap... even used ones, as long as they are in good shape.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like I have to up the budget, so with $800 to spend what would be the best options and what should I avoid?

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
WD,
Let's establish one premise now..at $800.00 per copy, there are no bad 1911's out there. So, if we except that factoid...you can pick from any number of quality new or used 1911's...custom guns excluded. Kimber, Springfield, S&W, Colt, Caspian, Dan Wesson (CZ) etc., etc.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I like these old style pistols, too, and have been shooting some off and on since about 1971.
I now own 2 Armscor-made pistols, and I recommend them to anyone looking for an inexpensiuve, reliable 1911 without the extras.

Check out the RIA (Rock Island) inthe manufacturer's sectuon at http://forum.m1911.org/index.php?

You will find posts from lots of very happy Rock Island owners.

FWIW, the 1911.org site has enough information on these great pistols to help nearly everyone who shoots one. I believe it is THE BEST 1911 site there is.

mark

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: re: 1911

ColoradoKid said:
WD,
Let's establish one premise now..at $800.00 per copy, there are no bad 1911's out there. So, if we except that factoid...you can pick from any number of quality new or used 1911's...custom guns excluded. Kimber, Springfield, S&W, Colt, Caspian, Dan Wesson (CZ) etc., etc.
I would very much like to find a Colt in nice contidion, I expect Wilson is still out of my price range?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

dogngun said:
I like these old style pistols, too, and have been shooting some off and on since about 1971.
I now own 2 Armscor-made pistols, and I recommend them to anyone looking for an inexpensiuve, reliable 1911 without the extras.

Check out the RIA (Rock Island) inthe manufacturer's sectuon at http://forum.m1911.org/index.php?

You will find posts from lots of very happy Rock Island owners.

FWIW, the 1911.org site has enough information on these great pistols to help nearly everyone who shoots one. I believe it is THE BEST 1911 site there is.

mark

Thanks Dogngun, T^ons of inof on the sites provided. Will be a great help when I go shopping for my 1911

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes...a Wilson Combat 1911 in any configuration is WELL beyond your budget. Try the gunboards and maybe a lucky gun show and you could come across a decent Colt that will START at $500.00. Good Luck..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

ColoradoKid said:
Yes...a Wilson Combat 1911 in any configuration is WELL beyond your budget. Try the gunboards and maybe a lucky gun show and you could come across a decent Colt that will START at $500.00. Good Luck..
So with that advice is a sweet 1911 worth $800 or is there a better 45 to spend the money on? Getting the feel that the 1911 price is more based on history. I have a S&W 1955 45(before it had a model number) and a S&W M&P 45 neither where close to this price range but one of them is worth more now.

For $800 I expect that I can find pretty much the best available not as a collector but as a person that wants a nice 45. So suggestions please.

BTW I have seen many Colts well with in the Price range and several Wilsons in this range. The hardest part with Wilson is the confrigeration, too many parts trades out on the Wilson frame.

So with $800 what 45 would you spent it on?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a colt series 80 mark IV and a springfield loaded.

Both are stainless steel, both are very good guns. The colt is a little slimmer and has fixed sights. This is more of a carry gun.

Springer has target sights and the loaded models have a lot of extras like polished feed ramp lowered ejection port, adjustable trigger to name a few appointments that put this pistol in the same class as the higher price 1911.
Hence the normanclature (loaded)

Springer shoots tighter groups than the Colt. Probably like the
colt if it were a Gold Cup.
you havent mentioned what your expectations are as for target, concealment or other.
There are also the polomer type .45s that are nice guns also. Glock , S&W, Springfield M&P.

And if you want used or new? Both my Colt and loaded Springer were used so i was able to get them for less than $800.00

Good luck, but you should do well in this price range.

Jack

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I went well over budget and purchased a Kimber Eclipse Pro II with night sights. My local shop called me and said they had one that was odered but the guy backed out of the order and they needed to sell it. They kept his deposit and I got it for $958 after a lot of haggling. I thought it was still too much to pay for a pistol until I shot it today! I don't know if I got a deal or not concerning the fair market value but have to say it is the best 45 I've ever shot by a long way.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good luck with your new Kimber. My friends have them, and i had the opertunity to shoot a couple. Man are they accurate.
Funny but since i last posted, i started to think about getting one. I figured they will sell for well over $1,200.00 +.

so the last couple of nites i have been on the used gun sights(guns international,gun broker etc...) and i see some for $775.00-$950.00 give or take.
I always liked and had the opertunity to shoot a couple of the 3" barrel models (ultra, theres a couple of others in this class) i dont have the models name down yet.
Anyway, i am thinking along your lines, and wondering if now would be the time to grab one? I also read some other forums that popped up on the "used Kimbers for sale" that i goggled and read some of the members comments on the kimbers.
Mostly good news, but i also read that the older Kimbers were made Better,for lack of a better phrase. Something were the metal on the newer ones were made overseas and quality control issues now arent as good as before.

Not taking this news as gospel, but my budget at the moment is hard pressed and with that, and seeing the lower prices on the older guns, it got me thinking.

Some of the sale items are new older gun models (new in box) which kind of makes sense, being how pricey the Kimbers always were. Older inventory, if you will. With factory box and papers.

I am figuring, pretty much what you paid is probably more like it. And the new springers are in the $1,000.00 bracket or so. I dont know for sure, but i am kicking things around and its awful tempting to say the least.
I always felt this was my next progression. I still love the steel .45s and i wanted the backup version for a long time. And i know they are very accurate shooters. Plus theres that part in my brain that keeps telling me that i wont be happy until i have a Kimber in my stable.
Yeah it just makes good sense. I gonna shoot (pun) for it. Now to convince the wife.

Anyway good choice, and enjoy your Kimber, stay well. Jack

·
Registered
33 Posts
WDBradley said:
I own several handguns and carry on a somewhat regular basis. Recently at the range a person let me shoot his 1911 in exchange for shooting my S&W M&P .45, it was a kimber. I like my S&W a lot but liked the slimmer design of his pistol. So now I'm looking at 1911's and there are so many. I plan to shoot it often at the range and also carry it. Looking for a smooth action, good sights and a tight trigger. My budget is pretty good ($300-$500). Any advice on the good and the bad manufactures/models would be truly appreciated.
It is my understanding that Taurus' model 1911 is not to bad coming in at around $600. I've never shot one myself, but know a couple guys that have them and they swear by them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I cant say i know about the Taurus, but a friend let me shoot his para 1911 with the LDA trigger (light duty action) i think thats what they call it.
After a few rounds, i adjusted to the trigger. This i can say is a great shooting gun.
I think in the upper $600.00 range you will have a better variety to choose from.
There seems to be a craze going on with the polymer autos. M&P, Sig (has the 250, that you can get smaller slides and lower units that make the gun compact or full size) using the same reciever. Accuracy looked very good in the write up (Guns and Ammo Mag)
Springfeild also mas a new XDM, looks like another great gun. Mostly these are in the .40 calibers. I am sure .45s will be next. Although i find them brutal in the polymer type guns myself.
I love the .45s, but in this economy i for one am having a hard time parting with $1000.00 and upper price range. I am jonesing for a kimber ultra model, and trying to see if i can get a first generation model for around $800.00 or so (not that i have the money right now anyway, but this seems to be a hard task to even find one)
I do know that the steel 45s in the $400.00 or so price range use to leave a lot to be desired ( i am talking new). i sold some of these when i worked at my losal gun range a couple of winters ago.
years ago i bought a Colt Mark IV in SS for $250.00 (15 years back or so) That was probably the best deal to date, besides a few S&W .38 subs ($100-$150.00).
The colt came when the small compact .45s were all the craze. With all do respect the guy who owned it did not know how to strip it down. Gun needed a good cleaning, Plus he was a good friend of my farther in law. He could have gotten more for that one, he knew it also.
As usaul, i got off the beaten path here, and i will go know. I didnt really say much of any great importance i am sure. But the wife dont want to hear no more of my gun talk so theres always you lucky guys.
Go easy, Take care, Jack

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jack, keep looking you will find a Kimber for a price you won't be able to pass up. Money is tight for everyone but that is when the deals pop up. As I expressed how I purchased my Kimber Eclipse Pro II. A 1911 has been on the wish list after I bought my S&W M&P 45. While I truly like that pistol other shooters at my local range let me shoot there 1911's in trade for shooting my M&P. Both are exceptional pistols for different reasons but I got the 1911 bug! At first I wanted an affordable 1911 but in time knew that I would just end up buying a better one latter so I set my sights on a Wilson Combat or a Kimber. Then it just took time to find my 1911.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hear you WD, great minds think alot. I know that Kimber will always haunt me. When i was working the gun range job, i waited to long and by the time i got my act together, the range closed and my boss got out of the bussiness.

Since, i have been to another range where most of the crew goes now. A few of the guys i use to pal with all ended up getting thier kimbers. So not to sound like a baby, i quess i feel cheated sought of.

But your right, this is a lifelong hobby and theres always time. I always will keep an eye out for one and we will see.

Thanks for the moral support, Take care, Jack

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cogratulations on purchasing a great gun, both in quality and in caliber. I love the 1911, they are a great gun. John Browning sure knew what he was doing. Many of his designs are still in production and he has been gone more than 70 years.
I have a Kimber, Taurus, and Colt. As of now, I am very happy with the Taurus, but I have owned 6 different Taurus guns in the last 2 years that didn't stay around very long, because of quality issues. And don't ever send one back for service. You won't see your gun for months, and maybe never. They kept losing mine in their own facility. I have shot my Taurus 2 or 3 boxes of ammo. It is very accurat and there have been no malfunctions. If not for the bad tastes in my mouth from other Taurus guns, I would be very happy with it. Because of my lack of confidence because of past problems with Taurus guns, I may sell it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts