Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to purchase a 1911 and have been looking at all of the following models. With so many to choose from can anyone offer some advice in narrowing my search down to the best model to get?

Springfield TRP, Springfield Loaded, Kimber Tactical Custom II, Kimber Custom TLE II, Kimber Royal II, Kimber Custom II, Smith & Wesson Model SW1911, Charles Daly Field EFS.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I own three .45 Autos. Two are 1911s - a Colt Gold Cup and a Springfield "loaded". I like them both. They are reliable and very accurate.
All of the .45s that you cited are fine firearms - at least by reputation. It may come down to finances. Which is the best buy?
Pete

·
Registered
52 Posts
I suppose it depends on what you want to use it for...

Another few I would add to your list... since you are willing to fork out Kimber money, I'd look for a used Les Baer, Wilson Combat, or Nighthawk Custom... you might get lucky and find on in that price range.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm debating this myself, and it's a doozy. I already have a carry piece, this is like a second car and I want a porsche, lol.

The Frontrunners: SW1911 (Crimson Trace)
Kimber Eclipse Custom II
Les Baer Monolith

Haven't shot, but like: Sig Platinum Elite
Les Baer Concept VIII

The only price I'm reluctant to pay is Wilson Combat. Anyone have one of these? Is it worth that price-tag, or is it a paying-for-the-name situation?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Been owning, selling, training with and renting 1911s for nearly 30 years. Until last month when I changed to a HK P7 M13 I have carried exclusivley the Colt lightweight commander and it has never once failed to do anything it as been called upon to do. Not once.
Having said that, I also took it upon myself to build from scratch the exact same gun as my LW commander only in 9MM and love it as well. I built it with every single piece and part duplicating the commander so as not to have to retrain myself at my old age.

As to the guns you are considering and for my humble opinion. The only one I would run not walk away from is the S&W1911. It is just too new for consideration. Also with the problems I have experienced with the S&W firearms in my rental counter, I just would not consider when there are proven, reliable 1911s available.

One thing to consider is no matter what you buy on the gun out of the box, you WILL spend money to personalize it after you get it. Sometimes it is changing grips or safeties or mag releases or sights or, well you know what I am saying. We just do no matter how fine the gun is or how many bells and whistles it has. So with that in mind, I would feel completely satisfied with any one of the manuf that you are considering. I happen to think that the Les Baer guns dollar for dollar are among the finest you can buy at any price. I have owned two of the Wilson Combat guns, one in polimyr when they first came out. I think I had number 4 or 5 out of the shop at the time. I did not keep it a month as I did not like the cheezy mag base plates that came on the first ones. I broke both of mine dropping them in practice the first day. Wilson was good about it and sent overnight about a dozen new ones, but I just never did like the double stack 1911, so I sold it.
But the bottom line in answer to your question "NO", the Wilson is not worth that much more and do not forget or overlook the Ed Browne custom 1911s as well. They are truly a class act all the way as well.

Good luck and I don't think you will go wrong regardless of your choice if you stay with the ones you listed as your favs.

UF

·
Registered
12 Posts
I didn't see Para Ordinance on that list. Is there a reason? I'm still kind of new to pistols and I'm looking at one myself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Jeez! I hear lots of ideas here, not many reasons.

What are you going to do with this 1911?

Let me politely suggest that from the list you created that you really don't have quite a grip on what it is you're looking at.

1911 is like buying a race car. In fact the high end custom 1911's are called "race guns." Les Baer, Wilson Combat are in that group.

The first 1911 I bought was/is a Springfield Mil Spec, because I wanted the same gun that the Army issued me.

I got a ParaOrd compact 1045 with a double stack mag, nice but not a "real 1911" inasmuch as it won't accept std. 1911 mags.

Traded that in on a Springfield "Loaded" Ultra-Compact, which is not made any more. It's nice but I don't carry it. I don't carry a 1911 generally for all sorts of reasons -- mostly the single stack mag issue, "cocked & locked," and the thumb safety. Besides which, they're big.

I was looking at some upper end 1911's at the last gun show, Springfield mostly. I don't care for Kimber . . . but that's just me.

Ended up buying a rifle instead.

I like my Mil Spec of all the 1911's I own. It's "nostalgic."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts