Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a .22 revolver. I want it primarily for small game and secondly for just plinking. I don't have .22 revolver yet, and can't hunt in PA with a semi-auto that rules out the Buckmarks and Mark II/IIIs

I just started looking and have seen the Bearcat and Single Six and saw that Taurus had one as well although I haven't seen one locally. Am I missing any other brands? I've already ruled S&W out since its more than I want to pay right now. Is there anything else I should be looking at? I'm open to new or used.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a Single Six with dual cylinders and I think it is the best of those you mentioned and any others for that matter. Other than S&W and Colt, there isn't much else out there. There may be a few old High Standards, H&Rs, and similar guns but they are few and far between though probably a very good value as they are not all that expensive compared to Ruger, S&W, and Colt. I had a High Standard "The Gun" (later named "Hombre" in 1973) years ago and it was a good gun for the trap line but I eventually sold it. I shot the snot out of it so looking back it was of pretty decent quality.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. My dad has a Fronteir Scout with dual cylinders, but isn't ready to give it up yet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think you'd be happy with a New Model Super Single Six (particularly if you want one in stainless steel), but you might want to look around for a used (but unconverted) Old Model Super Single Six. They're a little less frustrating to load because the cylinders index like your father's Colt and the triggers typically have less creep than the new models.

They're not getting any cheaper, but this one cost me only $230 OTD a year or two ago:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have had a lot, and I know what you mean about the Smiths being too expensive. Here are a few recommendations:
Single Action: I'd stay with Ruger - they are readily available used, ususally pretty accurate and very rugged. I am not that familiar with other current brands.

Double Action: I have an old High Standard Sentinel that cost $150. Alloy frame, 4" barrel, fixed sights, 9 shot. A great revolver for carrying in the woods. Must find a used one, they have not been made for decades. Old H&R's are also good woods guns, but hard to find and more money.
New DA revolvers - look at a Charter Arms Pathfinder. They seem to be pretty good little guns, and not very expensive, and can be ordered new.
Taurus also makes a .22, or did till recently, but again, I'm not familiar with them.

I'd try for a used .22 revolver first, to see a bit better what you want. It's always good to have a .22 revolve around, anyway.

mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts