Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my new Ruger single six, any suggestions as to the best ammo. I try to only use Remington in my shotgun and have been pretty happy. Any suggestions for .22LR?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
606 Posts
What do I like??? Cheap stuff.

Seriously.... bullseye competition with my target .22 auto, it's Eley Match Ammo. Target shooting with my bull-barrel .22 rifle, it's CCI mini-mag or CCI Blazers. They each provide the best groups in their respective guns.

Plinking or casual target shooting, it's the Federal bulk-pack stuff from Wal-Mart. 550 rounds for 9 bucks. The accuracy is more than adequate, and it's as cheap as you'll find it. It's what I feed the 10/22, the Single Six, and the Standard Auto.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've only shot Winchester Super X Hollow Point (X22LRH) so far. I have another brick of Remington Golden Bullet that I haven't had a chance to try out yet.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The advantage of a revolver is that you can shoot anything, unlike silly automatics that jam with certain brands. What shoots best is what ever you find the cheapest!

·
Registered
50 Posts
It isn't important if I like the ammo, but it is important if your gun likes the ammo.

The "best" .22 ammo for your new gun is the ammo that the gun shoots the best. Some are great with the cheap stuff, some aren't. Buy several brands and types and let the gun tell you what it likes.

I have three .22's, two revolvers and one semi. None of them like the same ammo. I'm trying to find a middle ground ammo that is cheap and shoots well in all three. May take a while, but the testing will be fun.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've found that my Mark III 22/45 likes Winchester .22LR much better than the Remington .22LR I've shot thru it. The Single Six will shoot anything I put in it. I think once I run thru all of the Remington, I'll buy up more Winchster ammo to use in both guns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like the federal bulk 36gr Hp and winchester Xpert HP
My S&W 22A shoots the federal stuff into tiny groups and my savage MKII shoots the xpert stuff into 1/4" groups at 50 yds.
My 10/22 only likes cci mini mags so it doesn't get shot as much as the other 2.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you got the convertible model, then you just have to try some 22WMR's - any brand (I use CCI). They are expensive (by comparison) so I don't shoot them that often, but sometimes you just want a little extra kick!

Scott

·
Registered
149 Posts
the "best" ammo for your SS is what give you the "best" results.

22s in general can be picky/finicky.

you would be better off buying a box of everything you can get your hands on and do some benching then go from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's the great thing about a revolver. You put the bullets in and you take the bullets out. The gun has only one job and that is to make the bullets go bang!

My SS must have a tape worm because it will eat anything!

Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
For my 10/22, the cheap stuff. Accuracy isn't a big concern when a 50 round banana is attached. If the target needs extra punishment, Remington Yellow Jackets or CCI Stingers make nice holes. For my 77/22 and MKII pistol, Winchester seems to give me the most consistent grouping without breaking the bank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts