Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a Ruger 'Single Six' 32 H & R Mag pistol. I just found out that they discontinued this model due to the bullets 'cutting' the barrel.
Can I shoot the 32 long bullets through this gun, and if so would that prevent the damage to the barrel?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The guy told me that after time that the 32 H & R mag bullets would cut a groove on the inside of the barrel due to being H & R mag bullets. That is why I was wondering if I could shoot a 32 long round with the gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, does anyone know where I could get a good chart that shows a cross reference of what rounds can be fired through different guns.
ig the 32 longs in the 32 H & R mag.
ig 38's in a 357.
As you can tell I don't know a lot about guns, trying to learn.

Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ruger has chambered the .32 H&R Mag in the Single Six and SP-101 revolvers for a long time. If they are discontinuing the chambering, it is due to lack of popularity and availability. I have no idea what this sales person is talking about when he says "grooving". Not everybody behind a gun counter knows what they are talking about. Actually, very few do. On revolvers, you will see some erosion or flame cutting, in the area of the forcing cone due to hot gasses escaping through the barrel/cylinder gap. The .32 H&R Mag. isn't a real hot round, I wouldn't expect to see much of a problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My wife has a 32 H&R mag 2", its a SD for her,and practices occasionally never seen a problem. I can't believe the cal. is dead as they have introduced the .327 which as I understand in revolvers will accept most .32 rounds. I have never entertained the idea of reloading for this, but I think Federal has the only offering. I would like to see Ruger come out with a 6" target model.
Jim

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sadly, the neat little round seems to be dying off. Federal is the only major ammo maker even loading it. MagSafe makes their specialty pre-fragmented ammo in a 50 grain .32 H&R Mag offering. Thats about it. I always wanted a 4" SP-101 in .32 H&R, but other guns always took precedence. Hand loading might be the only way to go if you want to shoot one much. I don't think the .327 Federal will be around for long either.

·
Registered
169 Posts
your pistol will handle magnums just fine. As said, with any revolver, there will be some flame cutting, but I wouldnt worry about it. The .32 H&R cylinder should handle .32 magnums, .32 long and .32 short(good luck finding any). I think you can also get a cylinder for .32-20 and a cylinder for .32ACP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys,
I was able to find 2 boxes (32 H&R Mag) locally here in TX. Been checking on line for different caliber rounds (pistol and rifle both) and every thing is hard to find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.