Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have hunted for some time with my .357 revolver. Taurus model 608SS8 3/8. Use lots of different ammo for different game. But the .357 has brought down everything from wolves to bear. Been tempted to try something larger but in my opinion that would be overkill.

·
Registered
187 Posts
windbreak said:
Have hunted for some time with my .357 revolver. Taurus model 608SS8 3/8. Use lots of different ammo for different game. But the .357 has brought down everything from wolves to bear. Been tempted to try something larger but in my opinion that would be overkill.
I'm glad it's worked out for you. It's a little foolish to make such sweeping generalizations as in your title, don't you think?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think so- Not any more than scored with ruger revolvers this weekend. I had an english teacher once who made sure he picked apart everything that everyone said. I'm wondering if perhaps he moved to Illinois??? My intention was not to be reprimanded for the title of my post-simply to express my OPINION on a caliber of handgun that I have used for years for hunting whitetails and black bears. It has always done the job. I thought that maybe someone in the forum would be interested. I was'nt prepared to be attacked. I promise I will try harder next time. :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
606 Posts
As you stated, it's your opinion.

Here's mine - if you run into a big black bear (300 lb or better), a REALLY HOT 180 grain .357 load is marginal, at best, and a 158 grain load isn't even in the running.

Given anything other than an absolutely perfect shot, it just doesn't have the ooomph; and all it takes to have a less than perfect shot is to have the animal move at the instant you squeeze the trigger.... a VERY common occurrance.

You owe it to the animal who's life you're taking to do everything you can to make it a quick, humane kill. That requires that you be able to place your shot properly, and that you use enough gun.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ONLY load I use for bear is Buffalo Boar 180 gr. Hard Cast Lead. It gets the penetration needed to get to vitals and also has the oomph to penetrate old Yogi's skull. Would not dream of using anything smaller. Took a black bear this year at a friends resort. Bear had lost all fear of man and would come in to the resort to forage in the middle of the day. ( makes the tourists a little edgey ) Worked to my advantage though as he walked straight at me allowing me to take my best shot. Shot him once in the head and that was all she wrote. Bear weighed 458 lbs. Shot was taken at about 35 ft.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Windbreak,, Your not alone. I killed my first deer with a scoped model 19, 357. Load was13.5 grains of
2400 and a 158 grain Hornady semi-jacket HP. Shot was just behind the shoulder and that young 6 point just flinched and
ran about 80 yard before he dropped. No blood trail, I did find 3 or 4 drops where he jumped an old fence. He was down but I finished him off with a head shot.
This would not be my favorite load today .If I were to try the 357 again, I think it would be a 180 grain lead in My Ruger Blackhawk.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Claybird, Used to hunt with 12 guage and slugs but for the past 9 years just my wheelgun. Don't think I will ever do the longgun thing again. Took 2 deer this year and they both dropped in a heap. By the time I got to them there was no life left. One at 115 yards and I did not aim high or low. Buffalo Bore ammo cranks out of my .357 at 1489 with chronograph 15 ft. from muzzle. Hard cast lead-180 gr. gas-checked. Bullet went through and through-lungs were blood pudding. Next year I'm going back to Winchester Supreme Partition Gold 180 gr. hollow-point. Good penetration-larger wound channel. I have actually had more deer go farther when I hunted with a shotgun and slugs. Happy Hunting :D :D :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The thing I like about the BB 180 gr. HC is it chronos out of my gun at nearly 1500 fps. That's penetration. :!: :!:

·
Registered
10 Posts
give credit where credit is due. sounds to me like you are an excellent shot with a handgun. bullet placement is more important than caliber.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am a long-time S&W 686 .357 hunter. Several years ago I switched to a S&W 629 Hunter Plus 44 Magnum. This wheelgun is heavy and it absorbs recoil even from my 300 Gr. XTP JHP's pushed with 24 grains of H110. As much as I love my .357, it simply can't match my 44 Hunter for knock-down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
where I hunt that most likely true longest shot might be 50 yards at most . I have harvested two deer with my .357 using a 158 gr bullet cast by me . for bear I would rather have a .44 mag but that's just me .

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm a believer in shooting what you're comfortable with. No one said you only get one shot at a bear... I guarantee I can take down a 600+ pound bear with a .357. What the hell, I have 6 shots available to make it happen... One or two of them will get r' done.

I love my 44 Magnum, but I wouldn't be afraid to use my .357 to stop a bear.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've been hunting bear for almost 45 years. I have taken many with a .45C that's a bit warmer and heavier than factory loads. I can see that a warmer and heavier .357Mag would work; however, I am way skeptical of a head shot. I've seen 12ga. slugs slide right off a big bear and where I hunt, they are pretty big. I'm not saying it didn't happen... I'm saying it would never be the first choice of shot for me.

As to either Brown or Grizz... there's no handgun I would bet my life on. I shot a Brown many years ago with a hot and heavy .45-70 rolling block rifle and ended up shooting him three times (two in the heart zone, one under the chin in full-frontal)... at about 40 yards.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Paul F. said:
I've been hunting bear for almost 45 years. I have taken many with a .45C that's a bit warmer and heavier than factory loads. I can see that a warmer and heavier .357Mag would work; however, I am way skeptical of a head shot. I've seen 12ga. slugs slide right off a big bear and where I hunt, they are pretty big. I'm not saying it didn't happen... I'm saying it would never be the first choice of shot for me.

As to either Brown or Grizz... there's no handgun I would bet my life on. I shot a Brown many years ago with a hot and heavy .45-70 rolling block rifle and ended up shooting him three times (two in the heart zone, one under the chin in full-frontal)... at about 40 yards.
Paul,

That had to be heart-pounding. 40 yards is nothing for a pissed-off bear. 45-70 Government is certainly nothing to thump one's nose at, as it dropped Buffalo like flies back in its early days...

As far as .357 Magnums go, I love em'. But hand guns simply cannot pack the power of a rifle. I hunt Feral Pigs in Texas using a 7" .44 Magnum, pushing 305 grain hard-cast bullets. My spotter keeps a 30-06 pointed a the pig, just so in case the .44 doesn't drop them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I enjoye my two Ruger New Model Blackawk .357 mags for big game- kind of fun when calling in coyotes- and carrying in the mountains- like archery hunting

reloaded Federal brass with Hornady ETP 158 grain pushed by WW296 powder- prefered to carry on the hip in a western style holster with a buck 110 attached-

put a Leupold scope on one- surprising accuracy- but to slow

eye sight got so I couldn't do very well with open sights- installed the TruGlo Tru-Point Open Red-Dot sight couple years ago- sure is quick and accurate- I like them sighted in to hit dead on at 60 yards

now if I can find someone to make a holster so I can carry like I did

I wouldn't hesitate on a neck shot- but never would try a head shot- although I did drop a nice buck with a shot to the back of the head- it came off it's bed right close and my shot went slightly high

I'd have to be real desperate to try a head shot with my Browning A Bolt .338 Winchester Mag on a big bear

like my brother once said- "I'm not worried you'll never pass me"

agree with the original post- it can be all that's needed

·
Registered
1 Posts
Short answer... Yes, any .357 Magnum revolver will take and safely shoot any .38 Special, or .38 Special+P, or even .38 Special+P+ ammunition.

In fact, I keep a .357 Magnum revolver, loaded with .38 Special+P ammunition in the drawer of the little table beside our bed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts