Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone make 38/357 shot shells with 35cal gas checks?
I made up a bunch of them a few years ago and can't remember/lost my recipe.

I'd like to make up more of them....just can't remember the amount of powder I used.

I'm talking about using a 38 special brass...prime it, put correct powder in and put a 35 cal gas check in and push it to the powder..not comptessed. Then put shot and top with another gas check and put a light crimp.

They worked GREAT.....

Any idea would be appreciated...I want to say it was 3 or 3.5gns of RDot or Unique???
I was loading them with #4 shot which came out to about right at 100gns plus the 2 GC's????????????
Had to make a special seater plug to push the GC down to the powder.

Thanks
Don2

·
Registered
640 Posts
I don't use enough to bother reloading them, I just buy CCI's factory loads. If I did have to reload, I would probably buy CCI's shot capsules as it seems to be less of a hassle. I know what loads you are talking about, I have an old Gun Digest, Shooter's Bible, or other such book that had an article regarding this practice. I'm sure it was around 30 years ago that I saw that article and it is probably in the same issue as an article about using round balls as plinking rounds for the 30/30 and 35 Rem cartridges. I say this because I have been looking off and on for that issue in my collection for many years, I'm sure it must still be in a box some where. If I find it I'll be one surprised person.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
uglydog said:
I don't use enough to bother reloading them, I just buy CCI's factory loads. If I did have to reload, I would probably buy CCI's shot capsules as it seems to be less of a hassle. I know what loads you are talking about, I have an old Gun Digest, Shooter's Bible, or other such book that had an article regarding this practice. I'm sure it was around 30 years ago that I saw that article and it is probably in the same issue as an article about using round balls as plinking rounds for the 30/30 and 35 Rem cartridges. I say this because I have been looking off and on for that issue in my collection for many years, I'm sure it must still be in a box some where. If I find it I'll be one surprised person.
I have a few of the CCI shot shells left around, but just wanted to make them a little cheaper. I was using the speer shot capsules, but they got a little expensive too :wink:

I just liked the idea of using gas checks, and they worked great also.
Its really no big deal.....just really wanted to get a conversation going......!
It won't take me long to work up the correct charge again...Just thought someone may have been making some too.
Right now...I'm kinda working on loading brass 410 shot shells....Its fun...what can I say??

Thanks for your reply
Don2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.