Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sparky 48 said:
Anybody have a good round-ball load for plinking with my .38?
I have one for my .45Colt. Need one for my .38/.357Mag.
I don't have one yet....But if you get one...I'd like it also.
I really like 357 mags...They can shoot a variety of shells...form 38spl any way you like-em to 357 any way you like-um..!!
I also have a 357 mag rifle....Fixing to have it chambered for 357 MAx. That way I have even another round I can shoot in them...Might not be the most accurate with the shorter shells..But hey...Thats ok for what I use them for.

A round ball round would be a nice addition to the club...I have some older reloading manuals from the late 50's to 70's...maybe they have some ideas?
I'll have to dig them out and look.

Let me know what you find out...Ok

Thanks
DOn2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just found these on Paco Kelly's CD.

.38 Spl case
1.5gr Bullseye*
.36 cal round ball (coated with Lee's Liquid Alox and allowed to dry) (Paco suggests hard 000 buckshot)
Small pistol Primer

.45 Colt case
2 to 2 1/2gr Bullseye*
.45 cal round ball (coated with Lee's Liquid Alox and allowed to dry)
Large Pistol Primer

* Necessary Step!!
Take the styrofoam plate that meat comes on (clean it with soap and water and dry) and push it onto the case mouth after the powder is dropped into the case (the case acts like a cookie cutter) creating a wad to hold the powder against the primer. With a wooden dowel rod push the wad down tight against the powder.
Load the lubed ball into the case and apply a crimp.

I'm not sure how much the ball will expand so you probably need mike the cylinder mouth for a starting point.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sparky 48 said:
Just found these on Paco Kelly's CD.

.38 Spl case
1.5gr Bullseye*
.36 cal round ball (coated with Lee's Liquid Alox and allowed to dry) (Paco suggests hard 000 buckshot)
Small pistol Primer

.45 Colt case
2 to 2 1/2gr Bullseye*
.45 cal round ball (coated with Lee's Liquid Alox and allowed to dry)
Large Pistol Primer

* Necessary Step!!
Take the styrofoam plate that meat comes on (clean it with soap and water and dry) and push it onto the case mouth after the powder is dropped into the case (the case acts like a cookie cutter) creating a wad to hold the powder against the primer. With a wooden dowel rod push the wad down tight against the powder.
Load the lubed ball into the case and apply a crimp.

I'm not sure how much the ball will expand so you probably need mike the cylinder mouth for a starting point.
Thanks...
I was talking to an old reloader at a local gun shop and he says he use to make them with a .375 round ball and run them through a sizer and put them in the case like a regular bullet. This gives you more bearing surface to catch the groves so it will be a little more accurate.
Also put Lee's Allox on the ball also like you mentiond above.

Ya..There is a few ways of making them...Guess I'll just have to do a little trial and hopefully no errors.!!!

Its just fun for the most part...I would rather reload than shoot most times...I just have a lot of fun or it relaxing to reload these dayZzzzz...! :wink:

Thanks
Don2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.