Pistol World Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are my options for .38/.357 snubs with 1 7/8"-2" barrels with about a $300 budget. I want another Smith but I dont see that as being TOO realistic with this budget. Thanks for the input.

-Adam

·
Registered
944 Posts
I think a realistic option thats close is a used SP101 with a 2" barrel. You may find a used S&W .38 for that price but I doubt the S&Ws will be priced around $300. The Ruger may be too heavy for carry though. Taurus should have some options if you can find them used and maybe Rossi too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the ruger sp101 is on the top of my list right now. i dont know if it will be too heavy to carry though - right now im workin with that S&W 66 in a 4". any specific model #s you could name from taurus or rossi?

·
Registered
944 Posts
I'm not really current on the model numbers for either. Go to www.taurususa.com and try the gun selector under the Products category. You can do a search for models meeting your criteria. I know nothing about the Rossi revolvers. Personally if I'm going to trust my life to a gun I'll stick with S&W, Colt or Ruger over the cheaper stuff. I understand having a budget though. I like the weight of the Ruger because I find it comforting.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I did a quick search on Gunbroker to see what turned up. I think you can get a S&W for near $300 or less. The Airweight revolvers are pretty affordable now that the titanium and scandium guns have the spotlight. The Airweights have alloy frames and steel cylinders. I like the 642 "Centennial" models with the internal hammer. The 637 is the "Chiefs Special" with a regular exposed hammer and the 638 is the "Body Guard" with a shrouded hammer. Check this one out, there were lots on there.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=62855659

·
Registered
57 Posts
any specific model #s you could name from taurus or rossi?
The Taurus Model 85 is a snubbie five shooter in .38 Special. I think you'd do better, however, to look for a serviceable used Colt Detective Special or Agent.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies fellas. I really want to avoid taurus and rossi etc. i deffinitely do want to stick with S&W, Ruger, or COLT. I dont know enough about all the different models, which is why i posted this. the SP101 is DEFFINITELY an option. the weight will just make it more comfortable to practice with :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was going to suggest a Colt Detective special, but I recently checked 'em out on gunsamerica, and I see they have gone up considerable in price.
Still, I think you might get lucky and find a bargain or two...there was one in gunsamerica that was $299....dont know about the condition, ect. but I have a Detective special and it is one of my main carry guns.

·
Registered
159 Posts
As I posted above, I think an Airweight S&W is the way to go for what you have stated. But the little bobbed hammer SP101 is neat. I have a S&W 640, which is a 2 1/8" all stainless internal hammer (Centennial) .357 mag. If you were going to run a steady diet of .357 through them, I think the Ruger would stand up to it better. Rugers are nothing if not strong. Either one is a little too heavy for an ideal pocket gun, but I do sometimes cary my 640 in a Safariland pocket holster when my attire allows it. Buying a used snubbie is nice because they are usually shot very little. There are a lot on the market because people traded them in for the new superlight titanium and aluminum jobs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Having had the alloy frame Chief's Special and the 642 Centenial, I found them just really easy to carry concealed and ROUGH on the knuckles when you dump a cylinder into a target. Had to get rid of mine due to nerve damage caused by something unrelated to shooting. my $0.02.
///olde 8) pharte///

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1gsplover - if they are hard on the hands to shoot and you got rid of 'em, then what do you carry now? i am looking at this snubbie for a carry gun.

thanks for the input

·
Registered
110 Posts
Carry a 4" Ruger GP100 .357 or a Blackhawk 4 5/8" .45. VERRRY heavy, but I don't do a lot of walking while toting one of these anchors, believe me. If I know I have some distance to walk while carrying, I tote a P85 9mm in a shoulder holster... not too uncomfortable.
///olde 8) pharte///

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: re: .38 Snubbies?

1gsplover said:
Carry a 4" Ruger GP100 .357 or a Blackhawk 4 5/8" .45. VERRRY heavy, but I don't do a lot of walking while toting one of these anchors, believe me. If I know I have some distance to walk while carrying, I tote a P85 9mm in a shoulder holster... not too uncomfortable.
///olde 8) pharte///
how do you carry the 4" GP100?

·
Registered
297 Posts
My wife carries the 3" SP101. It's a great gun. I just bought a 638 Airweight, and it was $399. It's not easy finding a good firearm for $300 any more.

I do NOT consider the Taurus or Rossi worth wasting money on. It's true, you DO get what you pay for. I know this may upset some folks who have guns made south of the border, but my experience with them has been very underwhelming. And customer service really sucks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts