Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a bag of once fired .38 Special brass today. As I was sorting and cleaning them I noticed that some were marked "+P." I was wondering if the "+P" brass was stronger than the plain .38 Spec. brass or was it just a notice to the buyer that it shouldn't be shot in an older and weaker revolver??

Also I noticed that some of the cases (not the "+P") had one or sometimes two marking lines around the cases. One about where the bullet would seat and if there were two the second one about that same distance further down from the mouth of the case. None of my other brass has these lines.

Any ideas??

Norm,

·
Registered
640 Posts
The "+P" is mainly a warning regarding being loaded to a higher pressure though I have seen some cases of various brands that were heavier which I assume to also be thicker.
The cannelures around the brass I think is just a manufacturer's mark as I have some with these also. I'm sure at one time there was some significance to this but it has probably been lost to time. In either type of case, I load about the same though I typically do not reload to "+P" levels. The few times I have loaded heavier, I used "+P" marked brass to help keep loads separated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.