Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeking reload data for Accurate #5 powder and 146gr Speer HP and also for 180gr Speer TMJ. Haven't found anything as yet and could use some advice. The #5 I was using for 9mil and would like to use for the 38 special if possible. Any help?

Thx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went to the site and did find load data for 38 S&W Special for 140 gr JHP. Mine is 146gr. Any suggestions on getting to 146gr? This is going into a Colt 38 official police.

Thx

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
If it were "ME" I would use the loading data for the 150gr JHP. I have a Speer loading manual but it does not have data for AA#5, however I read about the 146gr JHP. The manual warned about underloading the round. Speer said, and I quote,"The 146 gr.HP and 160 gr. SP straight-sided jacketed bullets may seperate core from jacket if fired at low velocities, with the possibility of the jacket remaining in the barrel". I would try using the starter load for the 150 gr JHP shot over a cronograph. Make no mistake, I am not recomending that you do this. This is only what I would do.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Sorry, I just want to add something. The starter load for the 140 JHP is 5.8gr #5 and for the 150 JHP is 5.9gr #5. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
63 Posts
While #5 is probably fine for 38 sp, its long been considered a 45acp load. If you are looking for target loads in a 38 sp, as I am for my wife to shoot, I would look to win 231 or tite group.
Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts