Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my first pistol. I was looking at a Bursa thunder .380 (the single stack), and I fell in love with it. The guy at the gunshop tried to tell me that .380 is an expensive round. Is this true? He also said it's hard to find.. Is there any validity to this? Also does anyone know if the bersa thunder comes in 9mm? Thanks!

·
Registered
585 Posts
The .380 wasn't always expensive and hard to find, but surely is, now.

Bersa is not a bad gun. I own two. Might I suggest you try the Bersa Thunder 9mm? A bigger impact and far cheaper to shoot!

·
Registered
3 Posts
go with a 9mm. is the same diameter, but is a longer bullet and fires at greater pressure, in many ways a vary advanced slug. :idea:

another thought, you'll fin 9mm's everywhere, I buy mine at Walt mart, 50 round @ about $12.00 or $13.00 or you can buy a hundred in bulk box for $18.00

·
Registered
52 Posts
380 isn't as ubiquitous as 9mm, but it's not *hard* to find either. It's a little more expensive than 9mm, but not lots.

It's somewhat less potent than the 9mm, *BUT* it's a much smaller package on average than the 9mm, which is its greatest asset.

If you want a pocket gun, buy a 380. If you are going to carry full size, buy a 45. The 9mm, falling in between these two, is pretty much useless IMO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Remington M51 (380 cal) and I've generally not had any problem getting ammo for it. 380 cal. ammo was in short supply for awhile in 2008/2009 partly because of the war (ammo manufacturers were shifting over to fill military orders) and partly because the 380 has increased in popularity in the past few years (due in large part to the ease of concealment).

One more thing about the 380: it is a lot easier to reload than the 9 mm in large part because the 9mm is a high pressure cartridge. In any case, like the man said..... go with a 45 if it fits your requirements, otherwise a 380 will work but I wouldn't go smaller.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hubs88 said:
I'm getting my first pistol. I was looking at a Bursa thunder .380 (the single stack), and I fell in love with it. The guy at the gunshop tried to tell me that .380 is an expensive round. Is this true? He also said it's hard to find.. Is there any validity to this? Also does anyone know if the bersa thunder comes in 9mm? Thanks!

It depends on what the pistol is for.

I'm guessing home protection or carry - just in case!!

Go for the .380 is you like it. Ammo is available even if it is more expensive than the 9mm. You won't shoot more than a couple of boxes a year!! I don't see you at the local range on a weekly basis with either of them!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a .380 Thunder. It's a nice little pistol for the money. The .380 is not a "hard" round to find, but is a little pricey to feed, IMO.

I like both pistols (semiautos) and revolvers, so I find it cheaper to put a lot of .38 Special wadcutters downrange for fun, but I work out the little .380, too.

My own Bersa has been broken in and will feed and group everything I've put through it quite decently.

·
Registered
42 Posts
At the time I got my Taurus TCP738 (.380 ACP), about a year ago, I would have agreed that ammo was hard to find, but now it is rather available by comparison. Cyclical, comes and goes like most others. Was just at Cabela's in Hamburg about 1-2 weeks ago and they had shelves full of 90 gr. Speer Gold Dot ammo. Try MidwayUSA and MidSouth Shooter's Supply on line.

For what it's worth ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Bersa certainly looks impressive!! I am a real sucker for small guns and where that is concerned, it looks ideal!! But we have to look at the expense part and if the rounds are expensive, that is a cause to worry too –I’ll keep the Bursa Thunder 9mm in mind – that’s more in my budget!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do not own a Bersa but at the gun club I think I see more of them than most any other 380. I have fired one and it seems to be a real quaility firearm. I own the 380 Sig. P238. It is my first 380 and I really feel it is one of the best at present. It is a close copy of the Colt Mustang which I understand Colt is bringing it back into the market. I here many saying the 380 is not adequate round for self defense but tech knowledge in ammunition has made great strides. I think it is equivalent to the 38 round. Many will argue this but I have some Buffalo bullets and the Hornady ammo that becomes real nasty rounds. Just my $0.02 worth. 380 ammo was hard to find 8 months ago but now it' everywhere. Expensive? Yes but not that much more than 9mm. Bersa 380, or 9mm?? Make mine 9mm.........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts