Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yes it is. One can shoot 44 Russian ammo in the 44 mag and 44 Spl too. The 44 mag is just a 44 Spl case lengthened and with a slightly thicker head section if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
606 Posts
It has been so long since I purchased factory ammo (other than .22 LR) that I'm not sure what the current prices are. I'd be willing to bet that .44 Mag would be cheaper than .44 Spl just because it's far more common.

Be aware that shooting .44 Spl in a .44 Mag will require a very thorough cylinder scrubbing after each session. Otherwise, a ring of powder residue will build up in the cylinder at the mouth of the .44 Spl case. If allowed to build up, it will prevent the longer .44 Mag case from chambering. My solution is to load light loads in .44 Mag brass (though I still clean everything thoroughly after each session).

The same applies to the .357 Mag / .38 Spl.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Did a quick check on www.cheaperthandirt.com

The difference in price between 44 spc and 44 mag was in the ballpark of something like 70 cents for comparable Winchester ammo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.