Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd go with the 44 as you can find ammo almost anywhere and it costs less than the 480. Most of the guys at the range with the 480s, 454s etc bought them and only shot them once or twice. They only pull them out now to hand to a noob for laughs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I heard ruger stopped production on the .480? Either way it's going to be hard to find ammo for it. Of the 2 I'd go with the .44 as will a thousand others I'm sure. A lot of people recommend the .44 mag for it's versatility and availability of ammo and they're right. But I wish people would stop suggesting it for the use of .44 special. That round is damn hard to find and no cheaper than the magnums. My .454 is no more expensive to feed than the .44 mag and the .45 long colts are much easier to find if you want a mild plinking round for comparison to the .44 mag/special combo. For me the .454 works better. It doesn't get shot as much as it gets carried that's for sure. But when I do shoot it, I shoot well. And it'll give me a little more confidence in the presence of big, nasty critters. That's why I keep it.............In addition shooting .45 long colt in a .454 casull. I've learned that it might be possible to customize full moon clips for .45 acp revolvers and shoot that round in the .454 as well. Anyone else hear of this or see it done?

·
Registered
175 Posts
How much recoil can you handle without flinching? I've talked to some fellers that've shot the really big ones, 500, 480 and I can't remember the other one, but all have commented on the recoil and torque that these have. Find somebody who has one of each and shoot them before you purchase. BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF!!!

Ammo prices and availability should be figured in also.

HWD

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'll admit, I kinda like the idea of a hand-held artillery piece; but if you really get practical about it, when the .44 Mag ain't enough, you really ought to consider a rifle instead.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I shoot big bores for the fun of it. I use .44MAG for Wild boar. I have a .460S&W that the recoil is close to a 300gr .44MAG, but if you want recoil, try a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 2 rugers 1 in 44 mag the other in 480. I like them both If going deer hunting I carry the 480.( bring all the gun I can) On the other hand ruger DC'ed the 480 so if your not a hardcore reloader forget it. BTW I never had any of the probs reported with the 480

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you dont like recoil and want a hand cannon,,The Taurus Raging Bull 454 is for you.
The ported barrel does the trick!

Watch this video. I shoot it with one hand!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: re: 44 MAG VS 480 RUGER

cg said:
I heard ruger stopped production on the .480? Either way it's going to be hard to find ammo for it. Of the 2 I'd go with the .44 as will a thousand others I'm sure. A lot of people recommend the .44 mag for it's versatility and availability of ammo and they're right. But I wish people would stop suggesting it for the use of .44 special. That round is damn hard to find and no cheaper than the magnums. My .454 is no more expensive to feed than the .44 mag and the .45 long colts are much easier to find if you want a mild plinking round for comparison to the .44 mag/special combo. For me the .454 works better. It doesn't get shot as much as it gets carried that's for sure. But when I do shoot it, I shoot well. And it'll give me a little more confidence in the presence of big, nasty critters. That's why I keep it.............In addition shooting .45 long colt in a .454 casull. I've learned that it might be possible to customize full moon clips for .45 acp revolvers and shoot that round in the .454 as well. Anyone else hear of this or see it done?

I wouldnt worry about chambering a 45 acp with moon clips. Why. The new Hornady 45 Colt 225gr Flex Tip leverevelution is more powerful than the 45 acp unless you chamber a +P round so there is really no need. Plus with the Shorter 45 acp casing now you have the potential for a different carbon ring to develope if you shoot them alot. If you clean your guns regularly this wont be a problem but why take the chance. The 45 acp is really only for the Semi auto lovers. Since you are a revolver man stick with a revolver cartridge. If you do your own loading there is a load that is called the Ruger/TC load from Hornady that will run circles around even a 45 acp +P load.
:D :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Capt Rick said:
If you dont like recoil and want a hand cannon,,The Taurus Raging Bull 454 is for you.
The ported barrel does the trick!

Watch this video. I shoot it with one hand!

Except that in the words of Forest Gump,"buying a Taurus is like a box of chocolates,you never know what your going to get", and their service is horrid. Stick with Ruger or Smith in revolvers and you cant go wrong. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: re: 44 MAG VS 480 RUGER

cg said:
I forgot to mention earlier you made a great caliber choice. I hope you choose a Ruger or Smith. Dont settle for anything less in a revolver. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts