Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting back into reloading. I've never loaded full-house loads in the 44 Magnum before. I got this load from the Hodgdon web site:
210 gr Sierra JHC
26 gr of Lil'Gun for a Starting load.
I'm using a 210 Remington JHP (basically same size bullet), new Starline brass, and Federal LP primers. My issue is that when I put 26 gr of Lil'Gun in the case, then try to seat the bullet, the bullet runs out of room. I feel like I'm crushing/compressing the powder slightly, and almost but not quite reach the bullet crimp groove.

Is this normal with a slower burning powder? Is this load safe to shoot? I'll be shooting this in a Ruger Super Redhawk.

Thanks for all replies.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The cannelure may or may not be where the crimp should be. Hodgdon would say if it was a compressed load in their data.... did the load have an asterisk or a "C" in the data?

You may be seating the bullet too deep.... what's the OAL of your load?

If it's not supposed to be a compressed load, DO NOT FIRE THEM!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: re: 44 Magnum Full case with Lil'Gun

wwb said:
The cannelure may or may not be where the crimp should be. Hodgdon would say if it was a compressed load in their data.... did the load have an asterisk or a "C" in the data?

You may be seating the bullet too deep.... what's the OAL of your load?

If it's not supposed to be a compressed load, DO NOT FIRE THEM!!!!
I have to agree here! I reload thousands of 44 mags and I wouldn't shoot that load without some "SERIOUS" research and proven data!

·
Registered
122 Posts
That just does not sound right. Check overall length = 1.6". Check the charge weight again on your scale. There is not much room between min. and Max (27.7) with that powder. Still, there is no compression note from Hodgdon.
Pete

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do you have any check weights for the scale? If not, you can get a general idea by weighing a bullet, it won't be exact but you might get some useful info. Use a .223 bullet if you have one - 35grs would be best.
Pete

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lil Gun is ok for 44 mag, go to Hodgdon site or check out Steves pages for a on-line source. I have not seen much data on Lil-gun for pistols, but I know there are published safe loads for 44 mag. They suggestion of scale check out is also valid.
jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
tscompwhiz,

After re-reading your post, I noticed you have made a subsitiution.

The Hodgdon data calls for a Sierra bullet and you are using a Remington.
Although the weights are the same, the bullet shape, nose profile jacket thickness, lead alloy, etc will greatly effect bearing surface and consequently how much bullet is in the case. This may account for your possibly compressed loads.

As a friendly reminder, pressure data and load data is done with specific components. Substitutions to those componenets can greatly affect the outcome of the data and get you into pressure problems and loading difficulties. That is why we are to pay close attention to the components they used in developing their loads.

The Hodgdon site doesn't state that the data was a compressed load. Although I'm certain that this will be close to full with your powder selection. My first suggestion is to contact Hodgdon via telephone, and speak to someone in the pressure lab. They will be able to give you sage advise and are happy to help with reloading questions.

As I do not get by here often, I'll leave my suggestions at that for now.

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
37 Posts
Todd gets the Star. Your problem may very well be the bullets you are using. The load calls for Sierra and you are using Remington. Did you check the crimping grove. I would bet the Sierra does not load as deep as the Remington. 44 mag. is my favorite handgun round. I feel in love with them back in the early 70's. Never had a compressed load in the 100,000's I have loaded. I love the 44 you can load it to do just about anything.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I load a Win 210 sthp for 44 mag. In checking many sources a load from 22-29 of lil-gun should be ok. So check your scale, make sure your brass is 44 mag, and consider using a mag primer for lil-gun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.