Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son bought a brand new 1911 colt .45 acp pistol a couple years ago. It has always had a jamming problem. Since he hasn't shot it that much, he'd make excuses, "maybe it was the crappy ammo.." anyway, I've finally convinced him he has to get it fixed. He called colt, and to send it there it will cost $135 shipping overnight. That kind of sucks but its reality. Anyway, he said he thought about taking it too a gunsmith. I reminded him that I am a tool and die maker and anything a gunsmith can do, I can do just as well. I explained to him that I am betting that the entry into the barrel is probably out of tolerance on the small side pobably as little as a few tenths and we could lap it out pretty easy if we had the dimensions and tolerances of a .45 acp barrel. But I can't seem to find a drawing on the internet. Is there anyone on the forum that can direct me to a drawing with dimensions and tolerances of a .45 acp barrel? Particularly where the round is chambered? What makes me think this, is he finally bought some expensive hollow point rounds and loaded up the gun and chambered a round. Then he removed the magazine and went to draw back the slide to remove the chambered round and it was really hard to draw back. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Without seeing the pistol in person, I'd still be willing to bet that it needs nothing more than a polishing job on the feedramp, and maybe a VERY light touch around the back of the chamber.

Edited to add.... do a search with the terms "SAAMI specifications" and you'll find chamber specs buried somewhere in that website.

·
Registered
149 Posts
it could be a chamber issue or...

try doing a plunk test. remove the barrel and drop the offending round into it. if it makes a plunk sound, your GTG.

also, try a FACTORY 230 FMJ/BALL round and see what happens. older 1911s were made for it, not HPs.

It could be the HP your kid selected is either too long in LOA or the Ogive on that bullet (sp?) is wrong for that gun. heavier bullets are usually seating longer.

try to determine if its ammo (specific) related before you start screwing with the gun.

another thing. you dont say if the ammo is factory or reloads? it can make a dif.

another thing. If he shot any lead ammo thru it, the chamber could be gummed/leaded up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi guys, Well if you elect to send it back to colt there is no need to run it thru a dealers books since he is the legal owner of it, you may send 2nd day by UPS in which all handguns must (no less than 2nd day delivery) which will save alot.

Now if you return to the factory most likely your 1911 will simply have a barrel swapped out and called in which case you will most likely end up with the same troubles.

What you will want to have done after reading your functioning issues, is have the extractor properly angled and fit, improper fit extractors tend hinder the feeding from the magazine. Also a throat polish on the feed ramp and barrel thus allowing the use of ball ammo and H.P.`s.

And also it sounds as if your locking lugs of the barrel are rough that may explain your difficult cycling. Link should also inspect for proper length and fit.

·
Registered
231 Posts
timpane said:
It could be the HP your kid selected is either too long in LOA or the Ogive on that bullet (sp?) is wrong for that gun. heavier bullets are usually seating longer.
Excuse me; but what are you doing digging up a two year old posting about a Colt 45 and then posting about the design of bullets???

Did you stop to think that since Jan of 2011 he "might" have solved the problem he was having????????????????????????????????

Geeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.