Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just purchased and started using a hornady ap press (upgraded from lee classic) i reloaded 100 rds of 230 gr Hornady HAP using a 5.2 gn charge and an oal of 1.23. 96 of the rounds shot great with awesome groups, but 2 of the rounds when fired did not exit the barrel they only went down about half of an inch and i had to push them back through the barrel. now the other 2 rounds became lodged in the chamber and would not allow the cartridge to be ejected i had to again push the bullet out of the rifling before the round could be extracted. I am assuming that this happened because the rounds were not properly crimped causing a loss of pressure behind the bullet or the brass was not pushed up far enough into the resizing die.i have never had a problem like this using my other press in which i have loaded hundreds of rounds with. any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am not familier with the press you are using, but it sounds like you had some shells without powder in them. A lot of times if there is no powder the primer has just enough power to move the bullet into the barrel to cause what you experienced. Been there and done that myself before when changing loading processes. Luckly you caught it and did not pull the trigger again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That is NOT a crimp issue. In fact, unless you are loading .45Colt with a roll crimp, the crimp has very little to do with anything except allowing the round to chamber.
Assuming you are loading .45 ACP, always nice to include that information, all the "crimp" you need is to remove the case mouth flare/bell.
Unless you have unburned powder in the barrel or action, you are looking at a powder issue--not enough.
The L-N-L progressive puts the charged case right under your eye for inspection. Are you inspecting the charge in each case before placing a bullet on the case?
Get an RCBS Lock-Out and use it.
1) resize
2) expand, bell/flare, and charge case
3) Lock-Out die
4) Seating
5) Taper crimp

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The title of the post says .45 acp. And no I did not check every load I checked every tenth round and had no issues with the charge wt changing.but I will check every load from now on thanks for the replies and I will be a little more thorough on checking my work

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't check the WEIGHT of every charge. Look in the case and verify the powder height is about the same for each round.
The odds of your powder measure "drifting" in weight is not that great compared to the possibility of short stroking of otherwise causing a low/no powder situation.
If you into measuring your crimp, look for a crimp of 0.473" (the SAAMI dimension for the loaded round) to 0.471" at the case mouth.

·
Registered
66 Posts
All of the above.
Verify that your powder measure is fully cycling up and down.
Inspect each case before station 4 for the presence of powder and that the height is the same.
Once you turn the lock ring down on the Hornady powder measure, charge weight drift is very unlikely unless there is operator error.
One of the hardest things for someone to admit is that they made an error--it has to be equipment's fault.
You are lucky you were aware of the squibs and didn't try to fire another round until you checked the barrel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.