PistolWorld.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
I tried my first at handloading for my Ruger Blackhawk this weekend. I loaded a sizable amount of Unique behind a 200gr HP Speer for around (according to the Speer Manual) around 1100 fps. Not to bad on the wrist,from recoil, and pretty accurate. I may try a little more. I started at the bottom of the chart and still have some room to move up in powder weight.
I've gotta secure some hardcast, from a buddy, and give them a try also.
I've heard a lot of folks talking about bullets backing out from recoil. I checked mine yesterday and had no problems. I reckon this means I got the crimping step right the first time,HUH?

HWD

·
Registered
606 Posts
huntswithdogs said:
I've heard a lot of folks talking about bullets backing out from recoil. I checked mine yesterday and had no problems. I reckon this means I got the crimping step right the first time,HUH?
Nope.... just means you ain't loaded hot enough yet.

(Just kidding, by the way.....)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WWB,

HOT comes next! My buddy hunts with a 300gr lead bullet in his 45. He won't let me try any of them just yet. He keeps telling me that I don't need to develope a flinch. I've seen him shoot em and he might be right. I'll work on getting my shooting down pat,then play with some of his "warm" loads.

Hoa,
I'm loading on a single stage press right now, so I'll be resetting it each time I load. I don't load enough 45s to warrant buying a progressive press just yet. This Hornady press has served me well for all my rifle loads since back in the mid 80s.

HWD

·
Registered
606 Posts
I load a 300 grain in my .44 Mag with 19 grains of H110..... great hunting load, but not a lot of fun at the range.

I just shoot a couple of them to make sure the scope is on, and then switch to a lighter load with a 240 grain pill for practice. That 300 grain load could definitely cause you to learn how to flinch, even with a heavy revolver like the Super Redhawk.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just REMEMBER .The 45 Colt is NOT a Magnum. Dont try to make it one.Reloads made for the Ruger or Contender should not be shot in the older or cheap Guns. Make sure your boxes are marked well Someone else could end up with them .

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clay,
You're right about that. These ain't no magnums! Just a very versatile round that can be heated up, IN THE RIGHT ACTION. I only have the one 45.My buddy only owns the Rugers and he's the onlyest one who may be shooting some of my reloads. I learned long ago about letting someone shoot my loads or shooting someone elses.

HWD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts