Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone at my shooting club gave me a box of .451 Ranier FMJ bullets that are 250 grain. I would love to load these for .45 acp if possible, but I have not been able to find any published load data on them.

Is this a reasonable idea based on the fact they are .451" or are they too big/heavy?

Anyone have any experience with them?

I would love to use them if possible - the are fully jacketed and he gave me about 1000!

·
Registered
606 Posts
If they are from Ranier Ballistics, they are almost certainly NOT jacketed bullets. They are a hard-cast, swaged, and electroplated bullet. The copper layer is VERY thin. The purpose is to reduce airborne lead and eliminate barrel leading.

You load plated bullets with low-to-mid range jacketed bullet data for a bullet of the same weight. Not having a load manual handy, I can't give you any specifics.... check with Hodgdon or Alliant and see what they offer.

Edited to add.... 250 grain bullets are intended for .45 Long Colt use. Although there may be some data for it, the .45 ACP is really intended to use 200 to 230 grain bullets, although there have been 185 grain loads showing up in the last several years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid that they might be more for 45 long colt. I can't seem to find any data for .45 acp of that weight whatsoever. I have so many of them, I was hoping to be able to use them. I will ask the guy who gave them to me, but I am not hopeful that he will know.

Upon closer inspection, I can see that they probably are electroplated. Not that it matters too much, I would just be using them to punch holes in paper anyway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Go to google and type in "250 grain .45 acp". You'll get 28,000 results.

I have no comment on the 250 grain part, but .451 and .452 are standard diameters for .45 acp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is surprisingly little useful data and I am not sure I completely trust made up internet information. That's why I was wondering if someone had any real experience with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts