Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have considered buying a ruger super redhawk .454 for some time now. i would mostly fire .45 long colt but would load it with .454 when camping in bear country. is the recoil of the .454 as bad as all the gun magazines say or is it a lot of hype? i have fired .44 magnums with light factory loads and am not bothered by the recoil in the least. how does the .454 compare to the .44 magnum in terms of recoil?
thanks, alan

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a .454 SRH with a 7.5" barrel, but shoot it less than some of my other revolvers. As you'd expect, recoil varies considerably with bullet weight and velocity. With 250 grain Winchesters, it has a tad more recoil than my .44 Super Blackhawks. With 300 grain bullets, recoil is stout enough that I generally shoot something else after a few cylinders. I haven't tried heavier bullets yet.

In my personal view, the SRH is a pretty specialized revolver that's likely most suitable for hunting with a scope. It's bulky and prone to extraction difficulties, particularly with high pressure cartidges and softer brass. I find a Blackhawk better suited to casual range shooting with .45 Colts. Unless you're thinking about an Alaskan model SRH, a Blackhawk (or maybe one of the new .45 Colt 4" Redhawks) loaded with 300 grain "Ruger only" cartidges, would be more comfortable to pack while camping in bear country.

That's all just a personal opinion from someone who doesn't hold himself out as an expert. YMMV.

G

·
thanks for your input. after recently discovering the srh chambered in the .45 colt, i am now leaning in that direction. i used to own a .45 blackhawk and really enjoyed it. the srh would allow me to shoot light or heavy loads and be more compact to carry. i would think its stopping power would make a good home defense gun as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.