Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey folks. I loaded my first bullet yesterday. I am having problems making the 1.275" oal work out in my guns. When I shorten it to the factory measurement 1.220" I took from some store bought ammo the feeding problems went away. Why does the "book" call for 1.275". Can anybody help me understand this

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome, I can't find anyone who used the 1.275.....one man says that is the "maximum" for his gun. It looks like your "book" start you at the maximum OAL. It seems you need to back off just a bit!!

I found these data:

Hodgdons list 1.200 for any and all 230 gr lead or FMJ

Accurate lists 1.230 for LRN

Alliant lists 1.270 (same as Speer #14)

Lyman only has a 225 gr and it is at 1.272, but their FMJ is at 1.275 but the same Speer bullet in the Speer manual is 1.260?)

Bullets that match the GI hardball RN-FMJ shape should be seated to 1.266" - 1.271" to match factory GI ammo length.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You for getting back to me. I found some other loading info that agrees with your advice. I actually tested after load a few and had good success both with accuracy and feeding through the Glock 30. Thanks again and Im sure i will have a million or so more questions. P.S. Im having fun with this stuff.

·
Registered
66 Posts
COL is determined by the specific geometry of the bullet, the magazine (for semi-autos), and the barrel's chamber.
The COL in a manual is generally the COL they used for testing (which might be SAAMI's maximum COL for test purposes ONLY). In your case, they simply showed the MAX COL for the .45 Auto, and not a COL for a specific bullet.
The handloader MUST learn to determine the COL that is best for his purposes and NOT simply rely on the manual--as that is almost certainly a minimum COL for the data and NOT their recommendation for your reloads.
The COL that produces the best accuracy is very seldom the COL used by factory ammunition that has to work (but not be that accurate) in all guns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts