Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I shot a .50 AE Desert Eagle, and it was incredibly fun! :D :D :D :D I want to know what people think about the S&W Model 500's recoil, price (ammo included), and power compared to the .50 AE Desert Eagle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: re: .50 AE Desert Eagle VS. S&W model 500

9MAK said:
500 has more noise, more recoil and tons more energy & and like all ammo these days, expensive.
Agreed! After you put it down, you know that you were shooting something. The .50 AE is much easier to handle.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Depends on the .44.

The 500's only available in *huge* revolvers; the smallest they come is the 4" Smith X-Frame, with no small amount of muzzle brake to tame it. The .44 comes in all sizes, and with a huge variety of loads, so a hot .44 in a scandium-framed 329PD would be pure pain, while a mild .44 in, say, an 8" Raging Bull is probably quite pleasant. My experience is limited to an 8" 629 with mid-range factory loads, so YMMV.

According to Cartridges of the World, the 500 has *twice* the muzzle energy of .50 AE in a standard factory load, about the same amount as .30-06. Yikes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: re: .50 AE Desert Eagle VS. S&W model 500

Bunnyman said:
Depends on the .44.

The 500's only available in *huge* revolvers; the smallest they come is the 4" Smith X-Frame, with no small amount of muzzle brake to tame it. The .44 comes in all sizes, and with a huge variety of loads, so a hot .44 in a scandium-framed 329PD would be pure pain, while a mild .44 in, say, an 8" Raging Bull is probably quite pleasant. My experience is limited to an 8" 629 with mid-range factory loads, so YMMV.

According to Cartridges of the World, the 500 has *twice* the muzzle energy of .50 AE in a standard factory load, about the same amount as .30-06. Yikes.
Exactly! I shoot full load .44's in my S&W 629 8 3/8" and in my Ruger SBH 4 5/8" barrel and neither one does this to me...lol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjmtUFrF ... re=related

A 700 grain bullet...too funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ZCbh2AKHM

Nice flinch....lol....I have had the pleasure of 'test driving' one, at the range, and it is nasty, not to mention expensive to feed. If you buy one be prepared to learn to reload.

·
Registered
297 Posts
doink67 said:
Today I shot a .50 AE Desert Eagle, and it was incredibly fun! :D :D :D :D I want to know what people think about the S&W Model 500's recoil, price (ammo included), and power compared to the .50 AE Desert Eagle.
It depends on what you want it for. For simply a "fun gun" the DE is a blast. But it's a pretty expensive plinker. If it's for hunting and carrying through the woods, the S&W gets the nod. It's a more effective round with a better selection of bullets.

If ya just gotta have a .50 cal., I'd go with the Freedom Arms 500 Wyoming Express.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I rented the S&W at my range for $25 with five rounds. It was a lot of fun to shoot but five rounds was enough. Nice to to shoot but more than I would want to shoot often or could afford to shoot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts