Pistol World Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking at becoming a member of a local sportsman's club. They have an indoor range and it has 2 rules that limit the rounds that are shot. #1, the rounds must be <=800 fps. #2, no jacketed rounds.

How easy is it to find <=800 fps pistol ammo? I checked Winchester and Remington's websites that both don't seem to make that slow of ammo.

#2, if I get a glock, I will have to get a new barrel to shoot the non-jacketed rounds, correct?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm not much into autoloaders, so if that's what you're shooting, I can't help. But if you're shooting a wheelgun, check to see if there is some cowboy action shooting ammo available; you didn't say what caliber you're shooting, but .32, .38 and .44 are readily available. Those are all cast bullets, although they may be a touch faster than 800 fps.

·
Registered
152 Posts
wow that range must have a crappy backstop but anyways im not sure exactly but i think that they make non jacketed .45 acp which would be a good choice cuz those bullets leave the barrel barely doing 800 fps and my 2nd choice would be either a .38 or .44 special

·
Registered
122 Posts
A Glock should shoot lead bullets just fine. I have a Glock 36 that shoots semiwadcutters without a problem. The load cannot be too light or they won't cycle.
What caliber are you shooting - or going to shoot - at this range? Do you reload? If you load your own you can easily tailor the velocity.
Otherwise, try NSK Sales. He has a website. Talk to him and discuss your needs.
Pete

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mrjohns,

If you read your manual on the Glock,it tells you not to shoot lead through their barrel. I believe that it has something to do with the type of rifleings they use. You can buy a replacement barrel that work just fine. The idea of buying a different gun is also open. Like stated earlier, a 38,shooting lead "cowboy"loads should fill this ticket just fine.

HWD

·
Registered
133 Posts
The big issue on indoor ranges is they want jacketed bullets to cut down on the lead dust and junk airborne. I'd spend a little more time talking to the rangemasters and find out a little more about why those requirements seem so odd .

I don't have all my reloading manuals here at the office - but in a .45 ACP as an example 230gr FMJ(not lead) can be loaded under 800 fps ( maybe down to about 700 fps with Hodgdon Clays ). / 38 spl ought to get down around 800 fps in a variety of loads - but it still seems odd they don't want you to shoot jacketed ammo.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have to take a moment and apologize for my earlier post/ and retract the idea about shooting lead in a Glock. I guess that I was lucky - I tend toward copper-plated swcs. Further reading about this tells me not to do it any more. So..I stand corrected.
Sorry 'bout that.
Pete

·
Registered
122 Posts
No...far from it. I reload virtually everything I shoot and I shoot regularly. Yes, the manuals always tell us to use factory ammo. That was my take on the Glock....y'know, "I can shoot my reloads". But...as I wrote... I did some further looking (from non-factory sources) into the Glock caution (an article in the current edition of the Blue Press). There was more about Glock's polygonal rifling and its effect on lead bullets, leading and pressure increase. It was convincing.
I would not like a note of mine to mislead anyone, and so I wrote the last post. Just trying to do the right thing.
Pete

·
Registered
161 Posts
A friend of mine double charged a .40 handload for a Glock. It was his sons gun. It blew out the side of the barrel and slide on the range. His kid had a few cuts in such but DAMN! They had it repaired by Glock and his kid wont shoot his handloads anymore. I cant blame him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts