Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 9mm sucks it is such a weak lousy cartrige why do so many people like it? Maybe good for female shooters. Thats about it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Because its cheap. Relatively, anyways. Who can afford to go burn up a couple hundred rounds of .40 S&W or .45 ACP? Not me, I can tell you that. But aside from my .22 long rifle chambered handguns, nothing is more affordable. For defensive purposes, I like more power than the 9mm offers, but I am kind of a revolver guy and lean toward the .357 Magnum.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
snaponallstar said:
The 9mm sucks it is such a weak lousy cartrige why do so many people like it? Maybe good for female shooters. Thats about it.
Please explain why you believe the 9mm to be "a weak lousy cartridge".

·
Registered
160 Posts
snaponallstar said:
The 9mm sucks it is such a weak lousy cartrige
It may not be perfect, but I still wouldn't volunteer to get shot with one :?

·
Registered
175 Posts
PERHAPS.

I knew a guy who would probably agrue with you about that, but he is no longer around to do so.

He took One single 9MM round to his chest, just to the right of his left nipple and you would not believe what the sucky impotent harmless, underpowered round did to his shoulder blade where it came out.

But then everyone has their own opinions and even arguements. As I said he would love to argue the power of 9MM rounds with you or anyone else.

Oh and by the way, we are always looking for new silouette type targets for our shoots. Being as how they are so underpowered perhaps you would volunteer to be one of our moving silouettes and I promise I will make everyone use just their 9MM handguns that night. I PROMISE.

Heh-Heh

UF

·
Registered
606 Posts
Wrong.... the .380 (9mm Short) is a weak, lousy cartridge.

Now, somebody can say, "The .380 is great.... the .25 Auto is a weak, lousy cartridge."

Then, the .22 LR....

Then, the .22 Short....

Granted, it's certainly no .357 Mag or .40 S&W, but I'd bet it's the most popular SD caliber.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If only there was a pistol that was chambered for the 50 BMG. (Now that I said that I'm sure someone will find a picture for me :lol: ) Oh and it has to be a sub compact for CCW and it should hold at least 16 +1 and the recoil should be comparable to a 22 Anything less than that and I just don't feel safe :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
640 Posts
I always get a laugh out of comments like this, especially as the person making the comment nearly always speaks highly of a 38 spl, snubbed nose mostly, as a substitute. With decent expanding bullets the 9mm is no slouch when it comes to being a protective weapon compared to the other cartridges out there. A handgun is a poor excuse for a defensive arm regardless of caliber, its saving grace is its ease of carry which means it is more likely to be handy when needed.

As for the 380 ACP (Short, Kurz, Corto) being a weak, lousy, cartridge: it did what I needed it to do when I needed it done. That is about all one can say regarding any tool. With the ammo choices avaialable today, I rate it at least on par with a 38 Spl snubbie.

·
Registered
606 Posts
uglydog....

C'mon.... you're sharper than that - my .380 comment was pure sarcasm. Take another look at the post.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rev. said:
snaponallstar said:
After shooting it i think it is self explanitory.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
snaponallstar said:
Rev. said:
snaponallstar said:
After shooting it i think it is self explanitory.
In my stable I have six 9mm pistols, in the shooting of these I have found no explanation. Please share your explanation with us. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Just an FYI, on the Guns and Ammo website... http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ballistics/ we find something strange. The 9mm 115gr FMJ has almost the exact same muzzle energy as the 45ACP 230gr FMJ. Both of these rounds have about 400 ft lbs of force with the 9mm slightly higher. I just thought everyone would like to know.
Have a good day. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Re: re: 9mm Sucks

wwb said:
uglydog....

C'mon.... you're sharper than that - my .380 comment was pure sarcasm. Take another look at the post.
Actually I did recognize the sarcasm, somehow I deleted my 25 ACP comment that would have changed the tenor somewhat. The 380 does hold a soft spot in my heart though I don't have one at the moment, and I often feel a need to defend its honor.

As for snaponallstar's comments, I seriously wonder what he has to base his experience on? Just shooting it is not much as a well fitting gun seems to have little felt recoil (my old Springfield Ultra Carry in 45 ACP was a rather soft shooting gun and not just for its size) which has absolutely no bearing on "effectiveness." Despite how poor of a performer it supposedly is, the 9mm has accounted for more than its fair share of successful protection incidents and will continue with even greater success in the future.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Can't imagine why that one didn't catch on

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah right. There are +P rounds in 147gr or 124gr that would turn a two legged varmant into spaghetti-O's. It might not have the stopping power of a .40 or .45 or .10mm but it gets the job done when needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do not know about suck, but i do not like them either... this may have something to do with being neerly shot by a droped Glock,

PS, i do not like Glock's either....... :wink:

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Man, it's getting deep. Now dropped Glocks are discharging. :roll:

1 - 20 of 90 Posts