Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this time I'm just here to collect your opinions. I want a .22 handgun, and I'm NOT going to spend more than $300 on it. I want a new one, Ideally something that can be picked up at Sportsmans Warehouse. I'm open to revolvers and auto's and I'm leaning towards the revolver so I can shot .22 mag, but leaning toward the auto because of a cheaper initial purchase price and more shots held. My current favorites are the Ruger Single Six in a revolver and a Browning Buckmark or a 22/45 in an auto. Help me pick, bearing in mind that I know how to clean a gun, and that I want the pistol to be able to shoot 3" at 25 yards, ideally much smaller than that.

BT

·
Registered
640 Posts
I currently have or have owned at least one of each gun you mentioned. I frequently carry the Ruger Single Six. The half of the year raccoons are out and about it wears the 22 mag cylinder and the rest of the year I put in the 22 LR cylinder unless varmint hunting. Mine is the stainless steel version with adjustable sights and has just adequate for me when the 22 LR cylinder is used. It might be due to the black post and black rear notch which is kind of difficult for me to see if the target is not pretty light colored. When using the 22 mag the accuracy is noticably worse. It doesn't help that the two cartridges have rather different points of impact with the same sights. There is a slight difference in the bullet diameter of the two cartridges and I think that also has a great deal to do with the accuracy difference with the mag cylinder and the long jump to the forcing cone and barrel might be the cause for the less than expected accuracy with the LR cylinder. Or maybe I just can't shoot it as the grip seems a little short. This is the same complaint I have with the Vaquero and Blackhawk guns though I can shoot them much better. I bought this gun initially as a practice companion to my Vaquero for Cowboy Action Shooting. Even with reloading, its too dang expensive to pop off 45 Colt rounds on a very regular basis.
The Ruger 22/45 is my favorite style of the Ruger rimfire semi-autos. I had one of the early ones out and used it as a general shooter until someone wanted to pay me more than it was worth to own it. It was a typical Ruger, reliable and quite accurate in its heavy barrel configuration. A couple of the light barreled models have passed through my hands but there is no chemistry with this gun so I have not kept them long. cleaning was not a great chore but it sometimes would have been nice to have had three hands to put it together. The other Ruger semi-auto models fall into the same mold.
The Buckmark is my current favorite in large part to my fondness for anything Browning. I have the 5.5 Target model as I wanted to use either a scope or red dot sight on it and it came with a top rail built in. Right now it has a red dot on it but when I had it wearing a 2x BSA, I could regularly put the whole 10 round magazine in a 3" bullseye at a little over 40 yards shooting off the porch railing with standard bulk ammo. With even cheap target grade ammo, that same standard was a certainty if I didn't screw it up. Cleaning these are a bit more involved; one needs an Allen wrench and the owner's manual to do it. to be fair, I've only taken it apart once since I've owned it and that was at the very first. since then a little oil on the rails and cleaning with a pick and tooth brush all I can reach without dismantling has worked well for me. I dread the day it stops working reliably and I have to take it down again. It probably isn't as bad as I make it out but the memory seems to grow with time.
There are other models out there but I either am not familiar with them or do not think they are all that great compared to the models you asked about. The SIG Trailsides are reputed to be very good but I have done little more than test fire them. The S&W 22A is still an under $200 gun in my eyes which makes them at least $50 too much in current terms. I kind of like the Beretta NEOS looks but the grip angle is not something I care for. The times I've shot them they were as accurate as any other gun in that class.
Hope this has been of some minor help, it is hard to tell someone you don't know anything about what they will like and not like in a particular firearm. What is an irritant to me is often a non-issue to someone else and vice versa.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been happy with my Walther P22. Great size gun, easy to carry. The ergonomics are really nice...it comes with 3 front sight posts and a replacement backstrap so the grip contour can be altered. You can get a model with a compensator but it's more expensive, of course. My local dealer sells the standard model for $279.00. I shoot only 62 gr. Stingers and have never had a mis-feed, and I've put a thousands of rounds through it. My daughter shoots this one for fun and is evil accurate with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ooops... I misspoke myself. I do not, repeat not, shoot 62 gr. Stingers. I was thinking about 5.56 ammo while posting this. What I meant was 32 gr. Stingers. I think that works better. I guess the only way you could get a 62 gr. .22 LR would be to use a depleted uranium bullet, but then the bullet would probably just roll out of the barrel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts