Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new pistol owner with a little experience with autos but more with revolvers. I bought an M&P 40 about 2 months ago and have maybe 200 rounds through it. I have been shooting targets at 15 yards. I've done a good deal of shooting seated from a rest to get the best idea of where and how well my new pistol shoots. So far, I have found about pie-plate accuracy, which I found disappointing. I am an experienced rifle and shotgun shooter and I'm doing everything I can to shoot a good group, careful squeezing, 2-handed grip with help from a more experienced shooter and bracing myself as securely as possible. I have read reviews of the M&P and of people getting much better accuracy than what I've found.
Is this pie-plate accuracy what is to be expected from this league of pistols at this range? It certainly is no where near the accuracy I've found with a revolver, which, I suppose, I can expect.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently purchased an M&P 9mm, and I would suggest getting some more practice. I say this because mine is very accurate now, but at first I was all over the place. it took me a while to get used to the two stage trigger instead of the solid trigger of my Colt. With my Colt, I cold consistently hit center on target with no issues, but with the M&P, at first I got a dud.

It was me. I am definitely a Smith and Wesson guy, but this is way different for a revolver guy like you. This is what helped me, and I hope it is helpful for you. Take distance out of the equation. Place the target at 10 feet and get the trigger pull smooth and accurate. Don't worry about how long this takes. Then, once you are happy, move it back five feet and repeat. This was what worked for me, and I hope it helps you.

Have a great night

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I would say that all you need is a little bit of practice in the M&P 40. Of course, what you have experienced has been the case of any of us here but in time, you will get used to it and gain more accuracy on the targets you are aiming towards and 15 yards will become 20. Practice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts