Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the marathon hurricane season we had in Florida on 2004 I have wanted to purchase some type of firearm for protection. After going 2 weeks with no power or water on the first hurricane then days without power and water on the following hurricanes I decided it was time to make a handgun purchase. It was a little scary being in your home with no power, water, or phone and not being able to do anything if some psycho decided he wanted your things, or wanted to take advantage of the chaos and see what he could get away with.

It took some time but with next years hurricane season slowly approaching, (it was predicted to be as bad as 2004) I went out and bought a Ruger GP100 357 Mag. Since then I have bought a 9mm and a 12 Gauge SG.

I have since tried getting my wife out to the range to familiarize herself with the firearms. Ive gotten her out there twice, both times I got her to the line but could not get her to pull the trigger. I even rented a little 22 revolver because it seems to be the noise and recoil that was deterring her from shooting it. No luck... she wont shoot the gun.

Well last Thursday night my friend/neighbor who also happens to be a gun enthusiast had someone break into his home at 3:30 in the morning while he and his family were home sleeping! Luckily for everyone their alarm went off once the side door was busted open and the would be burglar ran off.

Well this make me want to get my wife to shoot the gun even more now, I feel I need her to do this should she ever need to use it to defend herself and our 2 children.

I got pretty frustrated with her this weekend after she refused to shoot again at the range, we were there, she had the gun in her hand but she would not shoot it. I held my composure and did not take it out on her but I feel this is something she needs to do.

What do you think, what can I do? Should I lay off? Take a different approach?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Merk,

Dont take this wrong, becasue that is not how I intend this, But....

You can't force her to shoot If she doesn't want to, if you do, then she wont shoot as you are finding out.

Let me ask you this, would you put on high hills and a dress and make up....Nope, I didn't think so...at least I hope not.. :wink: LOL

Anyway, I am sorry that your wife doesn't like to shoot, but to force someone to do something they don't want to do...Well, it just wont work...

Maybe a friend of yours and His wife would like to go with you to ease the tension, or maybe ask her if she would like to take a "Ladies Only" class without any "guys" there... Maybe that will make her feel a little more comfortable, and less Intimidated.

What ever you do, Please don't force her, and Especially, don't get mad at her for having Personal Feelings.

You are wise in that starting her out with a .22. That would be best for her to start with as for the reasons you described. But Only if she so chooses to go.

As always, Stay Safe.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Merk,
XD is right on, don't try and make her shoot if she doesn't want to.

Talk with her and ask why she doesn't want to, if you listen you will find out why she doesn't want to shoot then you might have a chance of working through the issue and get her to shoot. It might bne as simple as poor hearing protection (it's too loud at the range) or as complex as the possibility of taking a life. But you won't know until you listen to her reasons. Even if you don't understand her reasoning you should respect it. There are a lot of people in the US that have no desire to ever shoot a firearm and while that is proplexing to those of us that enjoy shooting it is a personal choice. Also Most good ranges offer classes for first time shooters and they spend a lot of time preparing the student before putting them on the firing line.

Good luck as as your neighnor proved a good alarm system goes a long way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been there and back with my wife. She didn't want a gun in the house, even though she grew up with a hunter/shooter as a father. I got a .22LR Ruger Mark III 22/45 from her parents as a Christmas gift. She "allowed" it in the house, but had no interest in it. After some bad things happened around town with break ins and robberies, she felt safer with the gun in the house. After I learned the ins and outs of the gun I showed her how to operate it UNLOADED, and took her thru the steps of loading and unloading and even aiming and firing without any ammo in the clip. I think that helped get her ready to shoot it. She has fired the pistol on two occasions and feels confident that IF she needs to use it to defend the house if I'm not home, she can. When I got my second gun, a Ruger Single-Six convertible (.22LR/.22WMR), I showed her how to use it too. She feels a lot safer now but I didn't "force" her into using the guns. Once she started shooting she enjoyed herself she said that target shooting really helped relieve some of her stress. I think she'll be fine once we step up to large caliber guns in the future. Good luck, but don't stress the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: re: Advise please... Trying to get wife to shoot

I would never force her to do something she doesn’t want to do nor would she allow me to boss her around like that... lol
I may wear the pants in the family but she holds the remote control!!!
I would never get mad at her for something like that, I was frustrated because for the 3rd time we were there on the line, gun in hand, cocked and ready to shoot and thats when she changed her mind.

As Milly suggested, we sat down this weekend disassembled both of my guns, cleaned them and practiced loading then dry firing them. Basically showing her the ins and outs of the guns. That went well and she seems to be more at ease with them in her hands!

WDBradly what you said made me think of something.. When we first went into the range this week there was no one on the line, it was just her and I. Everything seemed to be going well, we talked for a while about what we were doing and in the few minuets we were talking someone showed up and starting shooting. I think that’s when I noticed a change. Then more people starting showing up and before I knew it, the place had a few more people and was loud and smelled of gun powder.

Maybe ill try an outdoor range next time!

·
Registered
160 Posts
She may just not feel safe around some people she doesn't know ... It can be intimidating and distracting especially when you're a new shooter and you're standing there getting ready to shoot and the guy on the line to your left starts sending 40 S&W brass your way.

Do you have any place where you can take her out and just let her plink cans in a field by yourselves? Having no one else around with no noise may help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: re: Advise please... Trying to get wife to shoot

Captn66 said:
She may just not feel safe around some people she doesn't know ... It can be intimidating and distracting especially when you're a new shooter and you're standing there getting ready to shoot and the guy on the line to your left starts sending 40 S&W brass your way.

Do you have any place where you can take her out and just let her plink cans in a field by yourselves? Having no one else around with no noise may help.
I wish, but unfortunatly i live in the city and dont know anyone with land. My friend (the one with the house that was broken into) is a member of a club we can go to that has an outside shooting range. We will try that next time.

Maybe we can take a grill and Q up a few steaks to ease the tension.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Merk, as well as everyone else.

You have accomplished alot already. Your wife now knows the basic mechanics of the gun, as well as shot it. I dont blame you for persuing the issue some more. My own wife has done none of this as of yet, and like others comes from a father who has rifles and pistols and lives upstate on 20 plus acres of land.

I am glad you wrote this thread, because i too have kind of given up in my quest to get my wife to be able to handle a firearm.

I think the outdoor move will be help alot in your situation. And i wish you the very best with that. I think i will like to go over the basic mechanics with my spouse this weekend. Matter of fact she just walked in from work, while i was typing this and i asked her if she thinks she will be able to defend herself in a situation with one of my pistols.

Just now she replied, " i still have to put in for my permit, god forbid anything happens to you". Sounds more of a money matter so far, but i will try to stay resillent and persavere.

I just have to keep my cool and dont screw it up. God thread, and good luck. I know i am going to need some luck myself on this one.

Take care, Jack

·
Registered
240 Posts
At an indoor range hearing protection goes a long way. I invested in some electronic controlled ear muffs that allows you to talk normal but if someone shoots it blocks the sound over a certian decible. Also try going to the range mid week when they first open, there are less people then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.