Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Senate Bill 541 was introduced by State Senator Rodger Smitherman (D-18 ). SB541 would require all handgun ammunition manufactured or sold in Alabama to be encoded with a serial number, and entered into a statewide database at the time of sale. Encoded ammunition would be registered to the purchaser and would include the date of transaction, the purchaser’s name, date of birth, driver’s license number, and the serial number of the ammunition. All unserialized ammunition would have to be forfeited. Not only would this measure cause enormous increases in the cost of ammunition, but it could lead to the establishment of a database of ammunition purchaser and ultimately the cessation of the sale of ammunition in Alabama.

Even if the industry can or will produce this ammunition exclusively for Alabama, the consumers will be required to register ammunition purchases and then blindly trust that the number etched on the "base of the bullet projectile" is accurately represented on the box in which it is sold. Since the "base of the bullet projectile" is necessarily obscured by the cartridge case, it is impossible for the consumer to know if he or she has accurately "registered" their purchase.

SB541 poses a serious threat to our Right to Keep and Bear Arms and needs to be stopped immediately.

Please contact your State Representative and State Senator and respectfully urge them to protect the Second Amendment rights of Alabama’s law-abiding gun owners by opposing SB541. To find contact information for your State Legislators click here.

G

·
I have no idea.... I have read that other more liberal states tried to pass this and it has failed but you never know what these politicians will do.

·
Registered
141 Posts
*Forehead slap*

I mean, ammo serialization collapsed under its own weight in Massachusetts, of all places...most likely this will be relegated to the circular file in Alabama. The Mass bill died when it became apparent how utterly impossible it would be to confiscate every round of ammo in the state, then issue billions of serial numbers and collect data on all of them, and that the actual utility of such a thing would be extremely limited. The fact that the people pushing it were the guys holding the patents on this (untried) tech didn't help it's credibility. Perhaps these particular snake-oil salesmen are bouncing around the country, looking for unfortunates to sic this on...

Edit:...

G

·
Here is a link for these clowns
http://www.ammunitionaccountability.org/

Apparently they don't have a working system to implement this yet, they expect to be paid by state royalties. They say on the site that the system (no independent testing) has a 99% accuracy rating by law enforcement test. I've yet to see a LE agency in favor of this foolishness. They wouldn't be able to afford to buy ammo, either.
This whole thing is a de facto gun ban.

Another link for the pinheads behind it, with the funding
http://www.ravensforge.com/about.htm

They have great concerns for our safety. Witness the protection from skateboard damage product that they sell. One of the target markets is government buildings, and I'll bet some committees have purchased them. Oh, what fools these mortals be.

Another step to the Nanny state. I live in Alabama and love it. I'd hate to have to move, but I think I'd be ashamed to live in a state where my government is gullible enough and stupid enough to pass this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts