Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Code:
Anybody have any load data for Alcan AL-5 and AL-8 for .45 ACP and .45 Colt? I've got a bunch of it and would like to use it in those chamberings. I've got data for .38 Special, .357 Mag, .41 Mag and .44 Mag, but I shoot the .45s the most.

BP

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1970 edition of Speer Reloading Manual No. 8 and the only 2 loads for the ACP with AL-5 is for the 225 gr.cast rn bullet with 9.3 grains @ 900fps up to 9.7 grains @ 940fps and for a 230 gr fmj using 7.5 gr @ 795 fps up to 8.0 gr @833 fps...no mention of AL-8 for the ACP, but does have loads using AL-8 in the .357, .41, 44 special, and the .44 mag...for the .45 Colt, there is one load for the 200 gr SWC using Al-5 starting at 11 gr @ 900 fps up to 12 gr @988 fps...but no info with AL-8...hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Burnt Powder said:
Code:
Anybody have any load data for Alcan AL-5 and AL-8 for .45 ACP and .45 Colt? I've got a bunch of it and would like to use it in those chamberings. I've got data for .38 Special, .357 Mag, .41 Mag and .44 Mag, but I shoot the .45s the most.

BP
Sorry, a couple years late to this forum;) I too have some Alcan 5 powder that I inherited from a shotgun reloader.

I did run a few chronograph tests with the following (use at your own discretion/risk): 230 Winchester Hollow Point/ 7.5 AL 5/ RA 68 cases (I know, old stuff and possible/probable reason for the 'larger than liked' ES)/WLPP/OAL 1.190/Glock 21

AVG - 769.5 ES - 42.45 SD - 12.84 Accuracy @25 yds from sandbag rest: 1-3/8"

A couple notes: The Glock is NOT built to be a tack driving target pistol! Also, this stuff I loaded in 1995 and just recently ran it over the chrono with the Glock. I think it is safe to say that the results show the old stuff is still consistent and accurate. With fresher brass and possibly a little tinkering you should be able to get similar results - you can start lower, but this load already shoots soft in the Glock! The Glock is a Gen 4 w/double recoil spring; however, there are no indications of pressure issues with it - just know YMMV!

Interesting side note relating to prices today - that 3 lb can of AL 5 was just $2.83!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
piggeon48 said:
I have a 1970 edition of Speer Reloading Manual No. 8 and the only 2 loads for the ACP with AL-5 is for the 225 gr.cast rn bullet with 9.3 grains @ 900fps up to 9.7 grains @ 940fps and for a 230 gr fmj using 7.5 gr @ 795 fps up to 8.0 gr @833 fps...no mention of AL-8 for the ACP, but does have loads using AL-8 in the .357, .41, 44 special, and the .44 mag...for the .45 Colt, there is one load for the 200 gr SWC using Al-5 starting at 11 gr @ 900 fps up to 12 gr @988 fps...but no info with AL-8...hope this helps.
WARNING WARNING WARNING the above data is INCORRECT and could blow up your gun !!!!!! This is a perfect example of why you do not use data off the Internet !

I am looking at Speer #8 right now and the above 45acp data is for a 200gr JSP bullet using ALCAN-7 not 225 lead RN with AL-5 !!

The correct load data for a 45acp, 225 LRN using AL-5 is 7.5gr (837 fps) to 8.0 MAX (882 fps)

I just happened to be looking for Alcan 5 data when I came across this old post and signed up to correct this information before someone gets hurt. Sorry it took 3 years for someone to find this but hopefully an accident can be averted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Perhaps my first post didn't take for some reason so I'll try again....
DO NOT use the above load said to be from the Speer #8 manual.

I have looked at the listing in Speer #8 and the OP transposed data from a Jacketed Soft Point using Alcan-7 line, not the lead bullet with AL-5 he quoted!

If you use the above data you will likely blow up your gun.

Beware of internet load data! Double check it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
O yes my friend me also want to say like that I have looked at the listing in Speer #8 and the OP transposed data from a Jacketed Soft Point using Alcan-7 line, not the lead bullet with AL-5 he quoted!that is sayin balam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.