Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must say, I am a little shocked. I have been looking around this site and have found no mention, at least on the Ruger pages about the lack of 9mm ammo.

I bought a P89 Ruger two years ago and have run thousands of rounds through it which I bought at my local Wal-mart. Now ammo is so scare I almost have to meet the supply truck to acquire any rounds.

With my tax refund I was going to buy 1000 rounds of Wolf 9mm from the Armory but they have been sold out since February.

I have heard rumors of all sorts concerning ammo. I even wrote the NRA about the lack rounds but they attributed it to the war effort. Bullshit, Are they sending 22long rifle to the soldiers as well? I cant seem to buy those in bulk either. Anyone know what is really going on?

·
Registered
8 Posts
From what I hear, people have been hoarding guns/ammo/reloading supplies since Obama got elected for fear that he'll make it all harder to get. Took me 3-4 months of looking to get 1 box (not brick) of small pistol primers. It sucks, I've only gone to the range 3 or 4 times all summer. :( :( I just hope it gets better before too long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:( Yeah, I am in the same boat. Last year I shot my 9mm every paycheck or sooner. As well as my 30-30 and .22's. Now I am saving what ammo I have left because of the shortage. I was thinking of reloading but as you said that stuff is getting hard to find and it is expensive as well. Yay Democracy.

·
Registered
149 Posts
well, unless you live on the edge of town, the ammo shortage along with the reloading components shortage has been in affect for a while now.

im not sure what writing the NRA would do since they dont mfg ammo or any of the components. i would try the direct approach and write the ammo mfg.

i belive it was mostly due to the change in the Presidency and the unknowns in gun laws and what would be enacted or created. also, with 2 wars going on, it doesnt help the sit. yes even 22s were affected since they use brass, primers, powder and lead.

there is speculation that by the EOTY, things should be better. ive been seeing more ammo and compoents become available. one thing that is helping is the rationing that some retailers are enacting. also, i think that once people have thier fill of ammo/components, its just a matter of time for the supply to meet the demand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bought my first pistol less then three years ago. I was able to go to Walmart whenever I wanted and buy as much ammo as I could afford. I should have ordered a thousand rounds from Wolf years ago but I was naive and thought everything would be plentiful for a while yet.

I keep hearing rumors about store like Walmart having customers who buy ammo fill out registration forms. I also hear about micro printing and such things. I only have about 400 9mm left and about 500 .22 rounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you want .22 -- WAS Re: Ammo

Sportsman Guide's got .22 in stock, pretty cheap: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=388288

Think I spent $22 for 500 pcs last year at DICKS for the Rem Thunderbolt. $27 for Eley brand, though I'm not familiar with it. I shoot it in a Ruger Single Six, so I don't have to worry about magazine jams if it's crappy ammo. Guess I'll find out this week, the tracking email says it's with UPS.

They've also got S&B .38 SP for under $15 a box that they say will ship next week.

There's a ready supply of 9mm and 38SP out there if you don't mind doing a bit of looking, and you're willing to spend $30 a box. UGH

·
Registered
149 Posts
Rugerfan40 said:
Bought my first pistol less then three years ago. I was able to go to Walmart whenever I wanted and buy as much ammo as I could afford. I should have ordered a thousand rounds from Wolf years ago but I was naive and thought everything would be plentiful for a while yet.

I keep hearing rumors about store like Walmart having customers who buy ammo fill out registration forms. I also hear about micro printing and such things. I only have about 400 9mm left and about 500 .22 rounds.
sometimes people learn the hard way. youve just learned one.

you can worry about future restrictions on ammo/guns, but why? at one time there was a form to get handgun ammo. dont get caught up in the panic. be aware of whats going on so you can make a informed decision.

when i got my first 22 rifle, i started to buy 22 ammo whenever it was on sale. working for mininum wage, its about the only way you can afford to shoot. even if the ammo wasnt the best in my rifle, i figured, it wont go bad unless it gets dunked/rusted so i would buy/keep as much ammo as possilbe and get more 22s when i had the $$$. at that time i bought ammo if it was < 0.02/round. that was my rule of thumb (ROT). now im not sure if its < 0.03 ish/round. i would have to check. i have accumulated 30k of various ammo now so i really dont have to spend $$ on 22 ammo unless its something special.

when i got my first CF handgun, it was a 44 magnum. after buying some factory ammo, i decided to get into reloading at that time. as with the 22 ammo, i began buying components at gunshows/shops whenever i could find a good deal. i have powder that i paid 10/lb and primers ive paid < 0.01/primer. ive got bullets and cases that at the time was on sale and not an really good buy, but now is considered cheap. ive got alot of components to last me for a while, but it wont last forever, so im constantally looking for good deals here and there. even then, i dont buy my powders by the pound, i get kegs. its cheaper that way.

they way i see it, if youre going to get into the hobby, think about what youre going to do tomorrow. if you want to shoot, on the weekend, going to your local sporting good store to buy cheap factory ammo is a thing of the past (for now) and i for one cant afford to do it anymore.

·
Registered
18 Posts
you can worry about future restrictions on ammo/guns, but why? at one time there was a form to get handgun ammo. dont get caught up in the panic. be aware of whats going on so you can make a informed decision.
Welcome to NJ. Most of the gun shops require a Firearms ID to purchase ammo. They say it's NJ law.

I guess they have to do something to keep the criminals out of the gun shops, and on the streets where they belong :roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts