Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes i am new, have been carrying ccw for about 2 yrs. I recently bought a glock 19. Make fun of me if you wish... :lol: I have been carrying a .38 snubby hamerless S&W with no problem for the 2 yrs. So i went to the range today, and realized i really dont like to fire my .38, it cut my hand and i am not very accurate with it, even with the crimson trace laser it came with. I fired my glock 19 for the first time today, and was very accurate and comfortable with it. My question is, for CCW should an automatic have one in the chamber ready to go, or should you just have the magazine loaded and cock it if you have to? In my two years carrying my .38 i only had to put my hand on it, and not draw it once at home but i defused the situation verbally. I know this is long winded, but ultimately what i am saying is i never had to draw my gun, so should if i switch to the glock 19 for ccw should it be chambered ready to go or just full magazine? Thanks fellas

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Nobody with any sense makes fun of someone for selecting a Glock 19 as their carry piece.

Your experience with the 5 shot snubbies is similar to many people who select one of those. They are a delight to carry, but many people have a hard time hitting the broad side of a barn with them.

As to your question about how to carry your glock, definitely with a round in the chamber. When you need it, you don't have time to worry about chambering a round and possibly causing a malfunction under stress.

·
Registered
160 Posts
IMO - You should carry the glock the same way you would the S&W. Ready to go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The reason i said you can make fun of me, is because i was reading a post on this forum where people were saying people who use glocks were "mall ninjas"?????? Also, the reason i asked about cambering a round is because, I am not an idiot, i have a completely covered inside the belt holster for the glock, but i am new to the auto's and dont want to end up like Plaxico Burress.

I put 100 rounds through the Glock yesterday, pretty accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I feel like the sights were off to the left a bit though. I think i am going to retire my snubby. I also put 100 rounds through the .38. Not a pleasurable moment. My hand is totally sore and my finger is cut from the trigger.

I also put 25 rounds though my new mossberg 500. That was awesome. I wish i could CCW that beast. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
A lot of people don't carry G19s just cause its not really a "carry size" gun. People normally opt for the compact or subcompact version. But its a wonderful gun.

IMO, you should absolutly have a round in the chamber. Not worth the risk of having to waste precious time cocking the weapon. I understand your apprehension in carrying cocked without an external safety, I've thought about this myself. As long as you have a good holster, and don't allow anything to get caught in there, your glock won't fire.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aliasneo07, Thanks for your advise. I think im going to carry it for a couple days to get used to it before i chamber a round all day. In the mean time i am going to look around at some other ccw options. The glock 19, I wore it ccw all day today, pretty uncomfortable. But i know if the SHTF i had a fighting chance, I was not sure after recently practicing with .38

·
Registered
160 Posts
The G26 would probably be a better choice for CCW as opposed to the G19. I have a G39 (45 GAP .... love the gun ... hate the ammo prices :roll: :shock: :roll: but thats another story) which is the same size as the 19 and its very easy to carry and conceal ... IMO ... its also pretty comfortable but this is coming from a guy that used to carry a Beretta 92FS ... talk about a pita to carry :roll:

·
Registered
240 Posts
It has already been expressed but you should carry ready to fire. If bad things happen there might not be enough time to rack a round. I would suggest lots of practice drawing the pistol so you don't have a mis fire.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm not a Glock fan due to the grip angle and no way to adapt to hand size. I like the 1911 grip angle why I chose the S&W M&P. besides the grip angle they provide three palm inserts to fit the hand to the shooter. FNH offers the same in the FNP series and I expect several others do the same, just the two pistols I own that do a great job of fitting the pistol to the hand of the shooter and have the 1911 feel.

Glock are user friendly and loved by millions for a reason. I don't know the reason but I bet some Glock guys can tell you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ilooked at one of these when i bought my 19. The dealer was trying to sell me the 26 with an extender magazine. It was the same price as the 19 so i just went with the 19.

I had thought about a kal-tech too.

I may also look into a 25

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WB, I would think a 1911 would not be ccw friendly at all, at least for what i am doing on a daily basis. I need it in a inside the belt holster easily hidden behind a t shirt. I eventually want to get a 1911. I liked the kimber

·
Registered
45 Posts
My mistake Beericus, I was thinking you bought a G17, I missed that it was a 19. Disregard part of my last post, the G19 IS a carry version. The G26 would be the subcompact. It might be a little easier and more comfortable than the 19.

TBH, I would drop your thoughts of the G25. I used to think .380 was an okay round to carry...but the very good point was made that you can get a 9mm in the same size frame as the .380. I'd skip the .380. The .380 BULLET is actually the same size as the 9mm bullet, but the 9mm cartridge packs more powder therefore causes a lot more damage, and better penetration.

Kel-Tec is a good option too, they have some very nice compact/subcompact 9mms.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think im going to look into a single stack 9mm in the near future. this is my second day of carrying the glock 19. I am getting much more comfortable with it. Still nervous about carrying with one chambered. Have not done that yet.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: re: Another newbi CCW question.

beericus said:
WB, I would think a 1911 would not be ccw friendly at all, at least for what i am doing on a daily basis. I need it in a inside the belt holster easily hidden behind a t shirt. I eventually want to get a 1911. I liked the kimber
I think you would be surprised how many cary a 1911 style on a daily basis. It might need more than a tee shirt to cover it up but then again an unbutton short sleve shirt to cover a 1911 style is easy to put on considering the protection you get for putting the shirt on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Always keep it locked and loaded because unless you are quicker then the person who robbing you or your family, get a good ccw holster for like the galco avenger, also remember too always carry and extra clip. Good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I carried today with one chambered. First time ever. I bought a Galco soft leather holster. Covers the trigger totally. I feel safe with it, however its pointing directly at my crotch and my Femoral Artery. So that makes me nervous as hell. I carried that way for over 2 years with my S&W J frame with no holster and no problems.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts