Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a G26 that I use for my ccw. They have a very light, and somewhat short trigger pull which I love about them. I shot about 10 guns before getting the G26. The only issue that I had with my G26 is there is no manual safety. I know that there are 3 internal safeties which are released when you pull the safety on the trigger , and I know the internal safeties make the gun very safe from accidental discharge from dropping it or what have you , but what if my shirt or something else snagged the trigger therefore firing the gun while holstering or something else. I found the answer I have been looking for at a gun show on 1/26/08. I walked by the Glock booth where a Glock tech was sitting showing someone else the siderlock ( www.siderlock.com ) that is approved by Glock for their pistols. It is extremely cool. It is simply a new trigger where the trigger safety is metal metal with button on it that you push with your finger before firing. You push the button to the left and the trigger won't pull back to fire the gun , you push it to the right and then your ready to fire. And it is reversible for lefties. I know some people say that a safety is just a delay in firing that will get you killed , but you can always leave the safety disengaged and you will still have the trigger safety on it. I was always nervous when holstering which is a good thing because it keeps you aware and makes you use extreme caution , but now I carry with one in the chamber 24/7 where as before I would only keep one chambered if I was sin a bad part of town or something. Most importantly though our biggest safety is between our ears , but I love this new safety for Glocks. And don't get me wrong about the button safety it is made of metal and it takes a good little push with your finger to disengage it , its secure enough not to flop around but it doesn't take two hands to disengage it either. And with it being on the side of the trigger instead of the side of the slide or something it is in the perfect spot. You can go to www.siderlock.com and go to the download section and it shows you how they put it through a 50,000 repetition test. I love it and would recommend it to anyone

·
Registered
160 Posts
Interesting . . . . How easy is it though to find that little button?

·
Registered
35 Posts
How much force can your shirt exert? I don't mean this sarcastically, but I don't think there's really much danger in holstering a glock with its already-substantial pull. Assuming the trigger hasn't been lightened excessively, of course. If it makes you feel safer carrying with a live round ready, fine; I just don't see the mechanical need.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the button is easy to find besauce its on the side of the trigger and you can rest finger on it til you eant to diable it. its about as big around as a pencil eraser but only sticks out about an 1/8". And as for it getting snagged on my shirt I have heard of this happening a couple of times. I just feellike it really completes the Glock. Everyone at the gun show was getting it installed. Thanks for your replys

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the spellingin the last comment guys I am just usually in bed by now. The funny part about the safety is that a buddy of mine that was there with me was giving me a hard time about getting it put on. Oh well we just laughed and went on our way thats what friends do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much can my shirt exert? I look at it this way. If I where to get one of my old t-shirts and try to rip it in half I think that the amount of force it takes to rip a shirt will definately be enough force to pull a trigger , but of course it would have to pull the entire trigger to release the trigger safety. Well guys maybe I am just to safe. All I know is that if the trigger where to go off on accident due to getting snagged on something , with my luck it would happen to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like an aftermarket part that isn't needed. Get a good holster and keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. When reholstering, also make sure the holster is clear of clothing and finger is off the trigger.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I don't see how a shirt can get into the trigger guard and cause a discharge if one pays even a semblance of attention. Look at it, the shirt is either tucked in which shouldn't then be a problem, or if loose, one would have to catch the hem on the trigger far enough up to release the trigger safety and then use enough force pushing the gun down to pull the trigger back. The way to forestall this unlikely happening is to pull your shirt up and watch yourself place the gun into the holster and is simple good technique whether holstering or drawing. Watching what you are doing does a couple of things: first, you greatly prevent the small possibility of an action such as you describe; second, you will lessen the possibility of catching the trigger on a part of the holster, something that is a bit more likely; and third, you will catch yourself placing your finger on the trigger while holstering which is by far the most common reason for "accidental discharges" when holstering. Also, decent training and research, practice, and the familiarity gained doing so will greatly allay your concerns and is what I feel is a requirement if one is going to carry.
A couple of other questions regarding this "advancement" you should ask is:
"How easy is this to use in an emergency?" Flicking off a little button behind the trigger is a fine motor skill which quickly goes to heck when under pressure. One reason those guns incorporating safeties have rather large ones in prominent places. Also, look where the finger is an would naturally go when deactivating the safety; right to the trigger. This could very easily increase the odds of an unintended discharge which is not a good thing. what I would consider to be very important is the reliability of the conversion. The video only demonstrated the effects of 50,000 activations of the safety, none at all on how the device stands up to recoil. It is not a very good option if the device falls apart or breaks in 50, 500 or 5000 rounds or the safety clicks back to "On" when fired. I have seen these things and more happen many times when guns have been "modified" or "improved" for better performance or safety. For a gun that is meant to keep me in one piece, I much prefer to let others be the guinnea pig; my hide is much too valuable to me to experiment with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand what everyone is saying. I guess I am just an overly safe person. Glock must have put it to the test though because when ordering a new Glock from them a siderlock is one of their options

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: re: another safety for glocks!

p3v5 said:
Glock must have put it to the test though because when ordering a new Glock from them a siderlock is one of their options
Or its an option in an attempt to appease some lawyers from the Republik of Kalifornia and/or Uncle Teddy's home state.

Please understand - I'm not saying the sidelock is a bad thing, but part of the reason I got a glock in the first place was for the point and shoot functionality. If I wanted the safety feature I could have gone with something different with a bigger safety that was in a more natural position.

If you like it and are comfortable with it, have practiced with it and like it then - good. Whatever works for you personally is all that matters.

just my .02

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but where's the safety on an 1873 Colt? They sold a lot of those guns, and most of the people shot were shot on purpose. Of course, you did need to understand the functioning of the gun, and not simply rely on it to be safe (it is a gun, after all).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your exactly right it is a gun. Thats why I added a safety feature. Its just what I am comfortable with. I did go with a different gun at first , a taurus pt111 millenium pro 9mm and the tie rod spring shot out the front after about 400 rounds.
So I bought the glock for reliability , because I cant have a gun I cant put my life on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.