Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my great Ruger guns is a Single Six that has two cylinders, on of which is chambered for .22S, .22L, and .22LR. The other cylinder is chambered in .22 WMR.

Is there any reason for me to buy and shoot .22S and .22L when .22LR is dirt cheap? Are the .22S and .22L rounds good for general target shooting/plinking, more so than the .22LR?? I've been thinking about buying some .22S and .22L just to see what the difference is but haven't yet because I feel the .22LR is a better round, that is pretty cheap if you buy in 500 or 550 round bricks. Any thoughts??

I should add that I like to play with my toys and tend to switch cylinders several times while shooting the Single Six just to fire the .22WMR. :roll:

My other Ruger is a Mark III 22/45 and I have about 3,800 rounds of .22LR for both guns, so it's not like I'm out of ammo or anything.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Milly said:
.....Is there any reason for me to buy and shoot .22S and .22L when .22LR is dirt cheap?......
.22 shorts are great for "wascally wabbits" in the garden (though I shoot them out of a 10/22 rather than a revolver). They are VERY quiet out of a rifle.... doesn't annoy the neighbors.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, I had not thought about the sound. Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
wwb said:
Milly said:
.....Is there any reason for me to buy and shoot .22S and .22L when .22LR is dirt cheap?......
.22 shorts are great for "wascally wabbits" in the garden (though I shoot them out of a 10/22 rather than a revolver). They are VERY quiet out of a rifle.... doesn't annoy the neighbors.
Do the shorts cycle your 10-22? They won't work, except single shot in mine.

I also use shorts for really small game and because of the lower noise and because sometimes you can get them cheaper than LR. I also have a little Browning levergun that loves them.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Meeteetse said:
Do the shorts cycle your 10-22? They won't work, except single shot in mine........
Same thing..... the short doesn't have enough oomph to cycle the action. No sweat.... it just means you have to nail 'em with the first shot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
wwb said:
Meeteetse said:
Do the shorts cycle your 10-22? They won't work, except single shot in mine........
Same thing..... the short doesn't have enough oomph to cycle the action. No sweat.... it just means you have to nail 'em with the first shot.
+1. . . .I agree, I've done it many times. Cheap shooting at its best. . . . . :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts