Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shopping for a while and come across this stainless Hi-Standard for 475$. I don't know much about is except is feels really nice, had a great trigger, condition is about an 8.

I had my mind set on a Ruger MKIII blue bull, but couldnt make up my mind on the 5.5 or 6 7/8 barrel. Any input to help me clear up my mind on my choosing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad

·
Registered
6 Posts
re: Anyone have anything on the Hi-Standard Mitchell trophyI

Chad, in my opinion I feel this is a no brainer. I personally own a mark lll that I shoot with on my club team, it’s great, I normally am not a Ruger fan however for the price I got on the gun I couldn’t refuse. Mine is all hot rodded out for competition purposes which do you plan to do so yourself? Another point I’d like to make, you could have a brand new mark, which you originally had your mind set on, for right around the same price as that used HI Standard. And to answer your question on barrel length, there are very few disadvantages to a longer barrel. Between the two, the 6 7/8 is definitely what I would be putting in my gun case. I hope all I had to say helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hi, thanks for that response. That is what my gut was saying. As far as barrel length. What were the disadvantages, and why the 6 7/8. They do have that one in stock for me. How much to upgrade the sight to fiber optic???
Thanks
CHad

·
Registered
8 Posts

I got one when they first brought them out, its the 5.5 in. bull barrel. Shoots great handles nice it is the equal of my blued High Standard Citation, barrels fit each other, magazines are the same the only problem with the Mitchell is the red plastic bottom of the magazine, they crack where the 1/16" roll pin holds it to the mag body. I cured this by making a new base out of aluminum. They are easy to keep nice and they wont wear the finish off like a blued pistol. I have no complaints and I'm picky.

·
Registered
6 Posts

The only thing I would consider a disadvantage about the longer barrel is weight. It isn’t a big deal at all though. And I would say the 6 7/8 because you will get greater velocities, better accuracy, and it sounds as if you plan to use iron sighs, so a longer sight rail that will make it easier to aim. And about the fiber optic sight, sorry can’t help you there. I put a red dot on the top of mine which I love. You can buy a red dot that won’t break your bank and could be quite accurate in the hands of a skilled shooter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts