Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of automatics. One Sig 2340 and a Walther P22.

A friend got me to wonering if the magazine springs might loose their strength after long periods of being loaded leading to misfires.

Can anyone advise me if this is true or a myth.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah I too was wondering that.

You would think that if you left a glock mag fully loaded for like five years without removing any shells...you WOULD think it would wear down and not load properly.

But if these guys say myth, myth it is :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: re: Automatic pistol magazine springs

aliasneo07 said:
Yeah I too was wondering that.

You would think that if you left a glock mag fully loaded for like five years without removing any shells...you WOULD think it would wear down and not load properly.

But if these guys say myth, myth it is :)
Quality springs are not damaged by being compressed within specific ranges. Over compressing a spring can damage it. Springs stored compressed will shorten, but, once again, quality springs take that in to account.

The main factor that leads to spring failure is the number of compression/relaxation cycles. This is what fatigues the springs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hello
i have had the spring compressed on my berreta 92 for 10 years loaded with 15 and then statred shooting with no problems. 1 of my ar-15 mags that fell down the back side of the safe in 1990 just got it out and fired with no problem factory colt 20 round loaded with 20. that is the 2 that have had the longest compressed storage for me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I mainly carry either a 1911 or an old FEG .32 auto pistol. In the full size 1911 I use Colt or USGI mags only, and load them and leave them loaded. I shot this pistol this fall after haveing left the mags loaded for nearly a year witn no problems. I also have a compact 1911 - one that many onliune say they hate - and have fired that after having left the mags (NecGar) loaded for at least 10 months. Again, no problems.
My FEG used the standard military issue mags, 3 of them, loaded all the time. No problems.
I have heard of 1911 mags stored loaded since the Korean War, and recently fired with no problems, but that's hearsay.
My 1911's are both imported by KBI/Charles Daly, and I have NEVER had any malfunctions with either and recommend them to anyone.

FWIW, I read a novel featuring the spring of a Bereta 9mm mag not working, the pistol not firing, saving the hero.
In real life, he's dead - The Beretta is a great, reliable, accurate pistol and 9mms will kill you! Don't believe the BS!
mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.